Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Popping/Crackling in garageband?

I'm fairly new to the technical side of music so stick with me.

Today I bought the Apogee One USB audio interface. I was playing around with it in garageband for about an hour when I randomly started hearing a crackling/popping noise. I know it's not the One because I've been using a cruddy little USB m-audio microphone for about a year and it periodically will crackle as well so I'm assuming the problem is with Garageband. Really the only things I've noticed with it is that the crackling is not reflected in the volume gauge on the tracks in garageband, it's only audible when I'm playing my tracks back, and it tends to fade then stop as the track goes on.

As I said, I'm fairly new to this so please be very descriptive in your suggestions.

Please help. I really don't want to have to send my computer away when I just got my new toy and haven't had much time to play with it.

GarageBand (Mac) '11

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 10:23 PM

2 replies

Apr 2, 2016 1:17 PM in response to sydneeylove

Don't worry, you're not going to have to send your computer away for repairs.

There`s no problem with Garageband.

But understand that you're going to have to experiment and learn the proper settings and quirks of your new audio interface and garageband's matching settings. It took me a while to really dial everything in, but once it`s set, you don't make any changes.

Have you tried the Apogee website, and Apogee forums for assistance?

Those two might offer comments from other users of garageband with your interface.

I'm not familiar with the Apogee, but I get a lot of help from Focusrite, the interface I use - they have forums on their site.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one/mac

Turn off your wireless and other apps when you are using GB - the fewer drains on your CPU, the better.

Depending on your computer, processor, RAM, and hard drive, GB can put a lot of stress on your system.

Make sure you lock tracks after you record them - it saves a lot of CPU stress.

(click track settings - show track lock)

The cracking sounds like it could be distortion, you may be overloading the inputs on GB or your new interface.

Generally speaking, keep your input levels low, you don`t need a "hot" signal with today`s digital equipment.

If you need more volume, turn up your headphones or monitors - don't use your input levels as volume controls.

If you play guitar like me, then you can clip the signal with harder strums or pick attack without realizing it.

Set your inputs with the hardest hits on the strings that you will make.

Do a Google search for Apogee One with Garageband - see what you find.

Good luck.

Popping/Crackling in garageband?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.