Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail 4.5 Getting same Messages again and again

Just upgraded to Mail 4.5. The program now retrieves the same Email messages even though it has already downloaded them previously. Everything that's on the mail server gets brought to my inbox every time it checks mail.

My request for help is two-fold:

1) How do I stop the repeated downloading?, and

2) How would I delete about 12,000 repeated messages now without having to select them one at a time?

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for your help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), New Mail 4.5, repeat multiple Email

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 9:21 AM

3 replies

Nov 27, 2011 8:14 PM in response to michiamoLuigi

1) Isn't there a "Delete from server after downloading" option in the Preferences? There used to be, if I recall. If I could get MAIL 4 TO OPEN, I'd check. Where did you get Mail 4.6? My Mail app barfed (about to post about it) and I deleted it and reloaded from the Snow Leop DVD, but it says v4.0 can't be used w/ S Leop 10.6.8. WTH?

2) Can't you click on one of the emails in the list, then Command-A to select all of them, then Delete? I ain't real versed w/ all this, so give it a try and wish us luck. j

Jan 4, 2012 10:41 PM in response to michiamoLuigi

I'm having the same exact issue but I've had Mail 4.5 for a while. Just started happening recently and now I have over 30K mails, most of them duplicates. I went offline and deleted all of them (used the SHIFT + MOUSE while over the message pane and scroll). However, once I went back on line they all immediately started coming back.

I've the delete mails from server box checked in the Accounts area.

Jul 12, 2012 5:30 AM in response to michiamoLuigi

You did not mention anything about your email provider. I had this issue and it was a pop mail bug at the provider, they called it a safety so we did not lose emails. I told them I call it a hassle. I ended up switching providers.

If you are using pop I recommend switching to imap it's a much better way to get email especially if you use multiple devices to get your mail.

Mail 4.5 Getting same Messages again and again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.