Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibook G4 OS 10.4.11 wont boot up.

I was deleting a second user account and whilst it was copying that user's files before deleting the power was switched off. Starting now gives the flashing question mark icon after the start up chime. It wont boot up from the instal disc either (holding c while powering up). I also tried command-option-p-r at power up with no effect, and option key with the install disc to use the hardware test. This last gave me an arrow cursor but nothing else. The user guide suggests that the only option is to reinstall the operating system but to do this it needs to read the install disc which it can't. Help.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 5:16 PM

Hi, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Is the Mac OS X 10.4 disc the install disc that originally came with the computer?

If not, is it a Mac OS X full retail install disc?

If it won't read the disc, it could be a problem with either the software disc or the optical drive.

23 replies

Nov 25, 2011 4:21 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Dear Ronda

Thank you for replying.

The optical drive has always been reliable so it would be bad chance for that to coincide.

I did wonder about the disc - I beleive it to be the correct one and it is the only one I can find but that isn't conclusive. How can I tell if it is correct?

The disc is identified as iBook G4 Mac OS X Install Disc 1, version 10.4.2 (but I have upgraded online to 4.2.11), AHT version 2.5, Disc version 1.0, 2Z691-5532-A, dated 2005; and disc 2 is version 1.3.

The serial no. of the laptop is W8725048YA2, with other identifiers which may help: 2.0/2X512/80/COMBO:WHITE-GBR and EMC No.2139.

If it is the wrong disc, or if it might be correct but faulty, how do I get another? Can I borrow one from a friend, for example, or must it match exactly? If I sort out the disc should that enable me to solve the problem?

Thanks for help

Adam

Nov 25, 2011 5:29 AM in response to adamfromdorset

The serial number is for a MacBook, not an iBook.

Does your computer say "iBook G4" beneath the display? Or does it say "MacBook"?

The disc is not compatible with a MacBook, nor is any Mac OS X 10.4 full install disc compatible with a MacBook. If it is a MacBook, you need the exact discs that came with it, or there is the possibility of upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6.

The serial number you've provided leads me to this information:

http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=mb_mid_07

Nov 25, 2011 10:27 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Well it goes ti show just how stupid one can be. You are right, it is a macbook.

So another search of the attic reveals a box with more install discs this time definitely for a macbook - but they are too recent, dated 2009 and for OS version 10.5.6. I think they came with my daughter's computer. However the install DVD was read on start up, but disc utility - first aid only found the DVD, not the hard drive. "Start up from DVD" failed with the message "Cannot intall Mac OS X on this computer." System profiler saw the install DVD at "ATA" and at "Serial ATA" it saw "Intel ICH7-M AHCI" at 1.5 Gigabit. Is this the hard drive? And Startup Disc menu item only shows the DVD. Using the applications disc holding D at start up for the hardware diagnostics failed to do anything. So it looks like the hard disc cannot be found.

The only option this DVD seems to be offering me is to "Restore System From Backup..." from Utilities menu item. If I try this a) will it work? and b) if so will it wipe the hard disc clean? I will try yet again to locate original discs but I am not hopeful.

Have you any suggestions?

Adam

Nov 25, 2011 2:09 PM in response to adamfromdorset

the install DVD was read on start up, but disc utility - first aid only found the DVD, not the hard drive. "Start up from DVD" failed with the message "Cannot intall Mac OS X on this computer."

But were you not started up from the DVD when using Disk Utility? Otherwise, how could have started up from it at all?

If it's not finding the hard drive, there's nothing to install it on.

The hard drive will be Serial ATA, all right. Are you sure you're not missing a disclosure triangle in the System Profiler (perhaps just ahead of the "Intel ICH7-M…)? There should be a manufacturer i.d. on the hard drive. (For example, mine is a Toshiba.)

The only option this DVD seems to be offering me is to "Restore System From Backup..."

Do you have a backup of your system? Yes, reinstalling from a backup will wipe the hard drive, but if you have a recent backup (this generally means a clone of your hard drive on an external drive), that shouldn't be a huge problem.

It would be really helpful if you could find the right system discs.

Nov 28, 2011 5:06 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Original discs assumed irretrievably lost.

One more thing I tried - I'm not sure what to learn from it - was to use a firewire conection to start from another computer in target disc mode which I have done succesfully before in other circumstances with other machines to retrieve data from a hard drive. The connection may have worked but the host computer didn't find the hard disk on the damaged one, so no help.

For the benefit of other readers of this post: it seems that you can download the orginal discs from various websites - which initially looked attractive. The advice from other sources however is that these are usually trojans or viruses and you should keep clear. So I finally got through the intensely irritating automated voice recognition system at apple uk technical support (0844 2090611) to a very helpful man who is posting me a new 10.4.3 disc free.

I'll keep you posted of the result.

Dec 11, 2011 3:04 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

The new disc finally arrived from Apple - labeled "Mac OS Tiger DVD 2Z691-5599A".

- Inserted disc and start up holding C key ... sounds of disc being active followed eventually by flashing question mark. If "disc eject" button is pressed the question mark stops flashing. The only available action is to switch off with power button.

- restart holding down option key (to try hardware test) ... again sounds of active disc, this time followed by blank screen with movable arrow cursor. This time apple-control-power was effective - not to restart but to shut down.

- ejecting disc by starting whilst pressing mouse pad works.

- shutting down seems to vary .. sometimes just a quick press of power button, sometimes has to be held for a few seconds before shutting down.

Maybe Apple have sent the wrong disc?

There is a repeated quiet clicking throughout which I interpret as the hard disc trying to run. It seems like the hard disc needs a little nudge like the needle in a scratch on a vinyl LP!

Reading more from http://support.apple.com suggested a few things to try:

- start up in single user mode (holding Command-S) : failed

- start up in safe mode (holding shift key) : failed

Back to the OSX 10.5.6 install DVD I tried previously: this seems to work and gave a utilities menu:

- "System profiler" found the hard disc under serial ATA - Intel ICH7-M AHCI

- "Disc utility" failed to find it.

- "Terminal" loaded but when I tried to enter sudo nvram boot-args="-x" as suggested to start in safe mode it returned "command not found" so that got nowhere.

- "Restore system from backup" utility isn't active, presumably because it doesn't recognize a hard drive to restore it to?

I have an external hard disc used for some back up. When I connected it to the USB port both system profiler and disc utility found it ok but "start up disc" utility didn't. Unfortunately it doesn't have a system on it. If it did could I start up from it and would that help? How would I install a system onto it? (I'm typing this on an oldish Powermac G4 desktop running OSX 10.4.11)

I will phone Apple first opportunity to check the correctness of the disc. However I do wonder if it can be any better than the 10.5.6 disc anyway.

It seems that what I need is some way of getting access to the hard disc.

Sorry for the length of this - but any more suggestions would be much appreciated.

Adam

Dec 11, 2011 6:49 PM in response to adamfromdorset

Adam,

A Google search tells me that they sent a retail version of Tiger, none of which will work on an (Intel) MacBook.

http://www.thebookyard.com/product.php?cPath=31_25_219&products_id=5487

Did you tell them you have a MacBook?

You are needing the Install and Restore discs that originally came with your exact model MacBook:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/stats/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-white -13-mid-2007-specs.html

Or a full retail version of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Dec 12, 2011 2:33 AM in response to adamfromdorset

She is incorrect.

No retail version of Mac OS X 10.4 will work on an Intel Mac (such as the MacBook).

Did you give her the serial number and/or tell her that you have an Intel Mac?

http://lowendmac.com/ed/rosen/09ar/install-mac-os-x-tiger.html

Intel Macs

All Intel Macs came with their own (grey colored) Tiger install DVDs. Apple never sold a Full Installer for Tiger that was Intel-compatible. No need - if you were buying an Intel Mac, you automatically got Tiger, and if you had a PowerPC Mac, you wouldn't need an Intel-compatible installer (nor could you use it).

This makes sense - until you need to reinstall Tiger on an Intel-based Mac. The original Intel iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, and Mac mini models (which came with Tiger from the factory) all use different custom install DVDs. Most systems require their own discs, again hit-or-miss will apply.

I'm not just guessing. I have a MacBook just like yours. It's running Mac OS X 10.4, and the Tiger retail disc I have won't work with it. Period.

Dec 12, 2011 5:50 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

Thank you for this and the links.

So I phoned Apple again and she was adamant that this was the only disc available and that it is the correct one. I explained that the incorrect 10.5.6 disc got me as far as disc utility (and we redid it again live) and she was certain that if the hard disc were repairable this would have been able to do so. Her explanation why the Tiger disc couldn't get that far was that the hard disc is broken irrepairably!?!? Empasse.

Is it reasonable to assume that since the10.5.6 disc booted up it's disc utility would have worked if it could? I can accept that disc utility, even from the correct disc, might not be able to repair the HD but it does seem odd that it failed so fully under the stress of an inapropriate shut down. I don't know where to go to borrow an original disc, so the only other option is to take it to a repair shop. Apart from the expense I fear that they will just go straight to the simple option of selling me a new hard drive. Then I am also into the extra expense and difficulty of retreiving data from the old one.

Adam

Dec 12, 2011 3:32 PM in response to adamfromdorset

Even if you had a brand new hard drive in it, the Mac OS X 10.4 retail disc would still not work.

Hard drives are fairly cheap, and with a MacBook (unlike with an iBook), the hard drive is considered a customer-installable part. You can buy a new hard drive and install it yourself, but that won't solve the problem of not having a compatible disc to do the install.

You can find the instructions for replacing the hard drive in this Apple Knowledge Base article (link will open a PDF).

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf

If you do this, the new hard drive will have to be formatted with a compatible DVD of the OS, so you really are back to square one. If you think it's worth the trouble and expense, you can try it with the 10.5.6 disc, but I'm not optimistic. A full retail version of Mac OS X 10.5 should work, though, but it will not give you all of the original applications that came on the MacBook when it was new (as the original install DVDs would do).

Dec 21, 2011 11:48 PM in response to Ronda Wilson

The study has never been so tidy ... but the original discs have been found!

However ... booting up from these discs has worked, as you have said, but the hard disc has still not been found. Using the discs I have reinstalled OSX10.4 onto an external USB hard disc and can use the computer from this satisfactorily. I have purchased and installed a new internal hard drive but this has not been found either so I cannot format it or use it. So the computer works and the hard disc is not faulty, which means that the recognition of the hard disc by the hardware or inbuilt software is failing. Is there a way to get at this or does this mean that I need a new logic board?

Going back to the original (presumed) cause of the problem: I don't understand why inerupting it should have such a profound effect - can you explain?

Adam

Dec 22, 2011 3:22 AM in response to adamfromdorset

Which exact make and model of hard drive did you buy to install as an internal hard drive for the MacBook? (Can you give a link to it?)

From an ancient post which I bookmarked:

"There are a few reports of trouble not being able to boot from the TOSHIBA MK1214GAP. This problem happens when the unit is recognized as slave, since ALL IDE disks in a PowerBook G3 Series must be set to Master. When I reviewed a problematic unit, it was only recognized as slave although it had no jumper pins -- which should set it as Master, and the same unit is recognized as Master in a DOS/V laptop. We are not able to find a solution to this problem yet. Out of 22 reports so far, there have been 3 problems. Full text in Japanese is available at the FAQ: Problems with MK1214GAP section.

New Report from Mr. Derek Vanderveer.

"This drive did NOT work for me. I could install software on it when booting from CD-ROM, but could not boot from the drive itself, exactly as other users have already reported with this drive. The good news is that I have been able to track the problem to its source: if you want to use a 12Gb Toshiba drive in your PowerBook, MAKE SURE it has the letter P or Q in its product number (the product number starts with HDD). For example, on the drive I had, the product number was HDD2149F, which was apparently a designation for a drive manufactured for Compaq, and whose firmware is incompatible with Apple machines. On the other hand, MK1214GAP drives with product number HDD2149P or HDD2149Q should work properly. This explains why some users experience problems with this drive, but not others. Those experiencing problems must have something other than the P or Q drives. I hope this helps other users avoid the problems I have experienced! This information was given to me!

By Toshiba's storage division support center, so I think it should be fairly reliable. However, please note that I have not been able to test this theory, as I don't have a P or Q drive to test with."

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/793800?answerId=3818040022#3818040022

Now, this was for an iBook, so may not apply, but thought I'd mention it just in case this could be the problem.

ibook G4 OS 10.4.11 wont boot up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.