Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sound in an application

I have downloaded spell-a-word to my iPad 2 but no matter what I do I cannot get the sound to work. It appears to be at the highest level when I push the button at the top of the ipad. On screen it says the volume is at 5 or 6. I have restarted the iPad. Any suggestions as to what to do to get the sound to work in the application.

Thanks.

Nancy

iPad 2, IOS 5

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 2:03 PM

Have you got notifications muted ? Only notifications (including games) get muted, so the iPod and Videos apps, and headphones, still get sound.

Depending on what you've got Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to (mute or rotation lock), then you can mute notifications by the switch on the right hand side of the iPad, or via the taskbar : double-click the home button; slide from the left; and it's the icon far left; press home again to exit the taskbar. The function that isn't on the side switch is set via the taskbar instead : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

If that doesn't work then you could try closing the app completely and seeing if it has sound when you re-open it : from the home screen (i.e. not with the spell-a-word app 'open' on-screen) double-click the home button to bring up the taskbar, then press and hold any of the apps on the taskbar for a couple of seconds or so until they start shaking, then press the '-' in the top left of the app to close it, and touch any part of the screen above the taskbar so as to stop the shaking and close the taskbar.

Another option after that is a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2011 2:03 PM in response to Nancy Bley1

Have you got notifications muted ? Only notifications (including games) get muted, so the iPod and Videos apps, and headphones, still get sound.

Depending on what you've got Settings > General > Use Side Switch To set to (mute or rotation lock), then you can mute notifications by the switch on the right hand side of the iPad, or via the taskbar : double-click the home button; slide from the left; and it's the icon far left; press home again to exit the taskbar. The function that isn't on the side switch is set via the taskbar instead : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

If that doesn't work then you could try closing the app completely and seeing if it has sound when you re-open it : from the home screen (i.e. not with the spell-a-word app 'open' on-screen) double-click the home button to bring up the taskbar, then press and hold any of the apps on the taskbar for a couple of seconds or so until they start shaking, then press the '-' in the top left of the app to close it, and touch any part of the screen above the taskbar so as to stop the shaking and close the taskbar.

Another option after that is a reset : press and hold both the sleep and home buttons for about 10 to 15 seconds (ignore the red slider), after which the Apple logo should appear - you won't lose any content, it's the iPad equivalent of a reboot.

Nov 24, 2011 6:10 PM in response to King_Penguin

Something that you suggested work! Huge thanks. Just not sure. Use side switch is set to mute. Lock sounds (in General, sounds) was on off and I changed to on. Notifications is set to manually and Notification Center in Notifications was changed from off to on. Sounds in Notifications was already on.

Just out of curiosity for the future and other apps what did I do that made the sound work.

Thanks again.

Nancy

Nov 24, 2011 6:33 PM in response to Nancy Bley1

These are all the things that you want to check for the sounds - you review and figure out what worked for you.

Settings>General>Sounds - turn all sounds on.

Settings>Notifications> Tap the apps that you want to get audio notifications for. In the next window - Sounds>On

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute Sounds. If you have that selected - you control game sounds with the side switch. If you have the switch set to lock the screen - you have to double tap the home button - then swipe all the way to the right in the task bar - to get to the speaker icon on the left side - this is where you can unmute system sounds if it doesn't work with the side switch.

Even though it is possible - IMO - I doubt that quitting the app was your fix.

Maybe resetting the iPad worked but IMO - again - Only you can know which of these things worked when you tried them. We didn't watch what you were doing when the sounds came back on! 😉

sound in an application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.