Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac app store in a company

I'm really comfused how you use the Mac App Store in a company setting. I know you need an iTunes account but if you set up an account for each employee and they later leave then the company wouldn't be able to use the software anymore by the look of it.

And if you set up an account for the company and use it from the admin user to install the software then the real user wouldn't get software updates, and anyway you dont seem to be able to make a company account only for people.

what is the correct way to handle mac app store apps in a company?

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 3:27 AM

6 replies

Nov 25, 2011 12:13 PM in response to Dah•veed

Sorry I should have said, for UK businesses

I got in touch with apple mac app store support and they basically told me to breach their terms and conditions and treat the company as if its your family, meaning I can buy one copy of keynote and use it on 20 other macs for free. I pointed out that this goes against the T&C's and he just repeated what he'd told me!!

Nov 25, 2011 12:19 PM in response to Kevin Neal

From John, iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support:

I am sorry that the Volume Purchase Program is not available in the U.K.

iTunes store accounts (these accounts can be used for purchases at the iTunes store, app store and Mac app store ) are available for personal use only. You may consider having an account in your name and allowing each employee to download the same app from the same account as you can redownload apps you have purchased from the Mac App Store without incurring additional charges.

this way you retain control of your account and your purchases.

My Reply:

Ok I will follow your suggestion but it appears to go against your own terms and conditions!

From John, iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support:

Basically you are setting up an iTunes store account in your name and, like in family account, different people can synch their devices to the account and download purchase items.

Then, you can redownload apps you have purchased from the Mac App Store without incurring additional charges.

Nov 25, 2011 12:35 PM in response to Dah•veed

I know, but it seems like there is no way to do it legally, you can't buy 20 copies of the same software on one account, even the apple support guy was basically telling me to break their licencing - the only way we could legally purchase 20 copies of Keynote would be to get the employees to set up accounts with thier own card details and then claim it back as expenses, but then the software would belong to the employee and there is no way to transfer purchases if they leave. So currently in the UK there is no possible way to do the right thing.

Mac app store in a company

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.