Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I change my scratch disk?

I used to use FCE and always used a scratch disk, i.e., an external hard drive for the actual footage so it wouldn't clog up my computer's drive.

I've been looking for a way to do this in iMovie '09, but can't figure out how.

Anybody know how to do this?

iMac 2.46 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4, MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 6:45 AM

Your external rive must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled). If not, you can reformat using Disk Utiltity.

On the iMovie Import Screen, you can select an external drive as the target for the import. This will remain the default place for importing events until you change it.

For Events that you have already imported, you can move them to an external drive. This must be done from within iMovie, so you do not break the links to the projects.

In iMovie, click VIEW/EVENTS BY DISK. You should now see your Event Library with small icons for available external disks. Hold down the Command Key as you drag the Event icon to the icon for the external drive in the Event Library List. (If you do not hold down the Command key, it will Copy, not Move).

I also suggest you look in Help at the Consolidate Media command. This is a good way to put all Project assets into the same external drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2011 6:45 AM in response to bythecshore

Your external rive must be formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled). If not, you can reformat using Disk Utiltity.

On the iMovie Import Screen, you can select an external drive as the target for the import. This will remain the default place for importing events until you change it.

For Events that you have already imported, you can move them to an external drive. This must be done from within iMovie, so you do not break the links to the projects.

In iMovie, click VIEW/EVENTS BY DISK. You should now see your Event Library with small icons for available external disks. Hold down the Command Key as you drag the Event icon to the icon for the external drive in the Event Library List. (If you do not hold down the Command key, it will Copy, not Move).

I also suggest you look in Help at the Consolidate Media command. This is a good way to put all Project assets into the same external drive.

How can I change my scratch disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.