Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leather, messenger, waterproof, small bag for Macbook Air 13"

Hello all,

I've been browsing the forums for this question, but I can't find something that fits the description.

I just bought a MacBook Air 13 and I'm searching for a nice bag that fits the following:

• leather made (ok, or something that is really nice - I put leather because that's universally nice for everyone I guess, but I can go with something else if it doesn't look like ugly plastic)
  • waterproof
  • vertical - messenger - carrying position preferably
  • not to big - it doesn't have to fit the Air perfectly, in fact, I don't want it, since I plan to take the iPad there and/or a notebook or similar
  • not too expensive - $125 is about it for me

I found three bags I really like but that don't cut the deal:

Visconti Scott - This is really nice, but doesn't look like it can withstand some rain with the Macbook Air inside and it's a bit expensive

Visconti Foster - Again, doesn't seem to be waterproof and a bit expensive

Be.ez 13" Le Vertigo - Completely waterproof and good protection, but really, really ugly

Any suggestions? What did you get for your own Macbook Air similar to these ones?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 9:04 AM

http://www.sfbags.com/products/macbookair-wallet/macbookair-wallet.php

They make a leather one too, that is a out of your price range. Quality stuff all around. No affiliation.

Glenn

9 replies

Nov 25, 2011 9:20 AM in response to GAtkins

Thanks Glenn,

I've seen these guys. but I need a carrying bag - which they make as well.

They look really nice, but like the Visconti ones - which are similar and much cheaper btw - they don't seem to offer much protection to rain. In fact I don't understand these laptop bags that all they have is a flapping folder... if it really rains a lot the water will go in by the uncovered parts on the side.

Nov 25, 2011 8:51 PM in response to jb.morgado

I understand your wanting a quality carrying bag. The great portability of the MBA 13 (I have a 2010 model) is one of it's signature qualities. Of all the bags you've listed, and of all the bags available, to get real waterproofing, I think you may need more of an actual CASE. A case that has some kind of sealing membrane and/or a locking watertight seal.

The solution I would recommend if you insist taking >$1K of hardware out in inclement weather is to use any bag you really enjoy with a large, sealing, plastic-zipper closing plastic bag tucked inside to seal the MBA up inside of if/when you see an ominous raincloud.

Sly

Aug 25, 2012 8:50 AM in response to jb.morgado

I know this is an old thread.. but found it while googling for a MBA bag. Anyways, there are couple other options I recently came across...

ETSY.com has a many options for hand-made leather messenger bags.. this one is probably best match for the needs of the OP (or anyone else with similar need as OP):

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67153488/13-macbook-air-traveler-bag-brown-hand

Kenneth Cole has a couple document bags (albeit more expensive):

This is a very thin bag @ 1.25", compared with most messenger bags are 3 - 5" wide and that's a lot of extra room for the MBA to slosh around.

http://www.kennethcole.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13205781&cp=13216059.1321 9161.3075281

Another document bag that's also very thin.

http://www.kennethcole.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12854550&cp=13216059.1321 9161.3075281

My search continues as I like the KC document bag, but more than I'd like to spend right now. Though.. they are very attractive - esp. if you simply need to travel with just the necessities: MBA, power supply (w/o extension cable), + maybe a vga doogle, small notepad + a pen.

May 25, 2015 2:38 PM in response to jb.morgado

We actually just wrote an article on our blog about this topic. We found that nowadays most leather messenger bags have laptop compartments. This means that the decision will probably be based on the style and price range.

The quality of the leather is very important, especially if there will be some rain on it from time to time. If you want something cheap, a messenger bag made out of canvas or TPU liner might be a better fit. Be prepared to invest USD100 or more.

Personally I like the ons you can find at Asos, for example this one here:

User uploaded file

If you like, head over to our blog and read the full article on leather messenger bags for men and get some inspiration.

Leather, messenger, waterproof, small bag for Macbook Air 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.