Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade to OS X lion?

From 1luckycat

About a week ago I looked into upgrading Snow Leopard to Lion. My wife did this, there were no issues and she's happy enough with it...uses iCloud and more. Checking these forums, I discovered a large number of updaters that were really unhappy. So I don't know if they are a large or small % of users, or just a very vocal bunch. What's your experience? Thanx again for your time & interest.

I really do like OSX lion, and there has been very few issues in my installation. iCloud is probably the most problematic issue here. Today, just before this answer, I lost my entire adressbook on my Iphone. Just because I merged my real appleID account into the iCloud account I created from a mobileMe account some time ago. Puhh .. I got it back - luckily, but it costed me 4-5 hours of scratching my head in dispear. Losing all contacts on the phone is probably not a very good start of the weekend. I recommend using a brand new appleID account for iCloud - or an existing account that is not a mobileMe account. It is indeed very difficult to recommend upgrade since every configuration is different, and you could run into trouble that I can not foresee. I have had a few crashes, but most of them are probably related to my use of beta software and XCode. My experience in total is positive, but thats my experience.I really like the mission controle, it is very suited for developing. I have installed on one MacBook Pro and one Mac Mini.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 11:45 AM

5 replies

Nov 26, 2011 2:40 AM in response to JanBP

Apple say that they have sold (6 million?) Lions. The number of people complaining in these Discussions, plus those having problems but silently gritting their teeth, are arguably quite a small proportion of that 6 million (although others argue otherwise). So the chance of being seriously screwed up is, in my opinion, quite small, but the chance of having gritting teeth problems (like I have) is greater (but how much greater?).

Nov 26, 2011 5:23 AM in response to mulligans missus

I have been very pleased with Lion and iCloud. I will miss iDisk but it could be very slow up loading and down loading.

I did three machines: Mac Pro (2009) 32GB, MacBook Air (1 Gen.) 2GB and a MacBook Pro i7 (2010) 8GB.

I did spend some time on the iCloud just to make sure it all went well because I was migrating from a mobile me family account. But all turned out well.

I figured/found out that if you have more that one ID account you can not use the same email assigned to those accounts.

Nov 26, 2011 6:12 AM in response to MajorMatt

My reply to the original question:

When Lion first came out I installed it over Snow Leopard on a Nov. 2009 MacBook Pro.

I am an experienced Mac user. I know how to do this correctly.

Before doing it I cloned my hard drive with Snow.

My first impression of Lion was that it was exactly the same as Snow Leopard except that some of SL's functionality had been taken away and some new features had been introduced of which I have no need.

Believing that if I wanted to keep on using the Mac OS I was going to have to get used to Lion, I kept on using it for about a month, but not liking it as much as SL. Being unable to use any of my old PPC applications I spent about $1,000 buying the newer versions.

The worst thing (out of many) was that over that month I was getting increasingly frequent system freezes requiring a hard start each time. These seemed to be building up and getting worse. I know all the usual routines for fixing such things but none of them made any difference.

Eventually instead of being a tool on which to produce my work, Lion was getting in the way. So I cloned back to Snow Leopard and spent time moving my most recent work back to Snow.

Everything's good now.

I would not recommend using Lion for any serious business purpose.

I continue to follow some of these forums, and I notice a lot of new people coming into them who haven't used the forums before; many of these "newbies" are clearly high-end professional users who've never had any issues and never needed to come in here. Now I see a considerable number of them, flagging up the issues they are experiencing in Lion. They have no dots under their names and have earned no points in these forums, but from the way they describe their problems it's clear they are very experienced computer-savvy people.

That's my 10c. Feel free to have a different opinion, but don't feel you have to diss me.

Should I upgrade to OS X lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.