Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 microphone not working. On 4.3.3. Please HELP!

Just noticed that the internal microphone on my ipad 2 64 GB (white) is not working. I even tried to record a video to see of it was an application problem but the video did not record sound either and just recorded static. I am still on the 4.3.3 firmware and haven't ever had any problems.

Thank you in advance for your help.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 9:32 PM

Evandre1724-

That sounds like a loose microphone connection inside the iPad. If you can demonstrate it to an Apple Store Genius, you may get a new iPad on the spot.

If there are no Apple Stores nearby, search for an Apple Authorized Repair Center near you. They should be able to do warranty repairs.

Fred

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2011 9:32 PM in response to evandre1724

Evandre1724-

That sounds like a loose microphone connection inside the iPad. If you can demonstrate it to an Apple Store Genius, you may get a new iPad on the spot.

If there are no Apple Stores nearby, search for an Apple Authorized Repair Center near you. They should be able to do warranty repairs.

Fred

Nov 26, 2011 11:09 AM in response to pichkeopiseth

Pichkeopiseth-

The iPad 2 has been out less than a year, so it is still under warranty. Apple should repair or replace. Whether they replace with a new or reconditioned unit, I can't say.

For an out-of-warranty unit, an Apple Authorized Repair Center may be your best bet, since it is probably an easy repair.

I suggest you verify that the problem exists in at least two Apps. One I use is the free Skype App. Skype has a test server you can call, that will record and play back your voice.

If the microphone works sometimes but not others, try resetting (rebooting) the iPad. Hold both the Home and Sleep buttons for several seconds until the Apple logo appears. Ignore the "Slide to power off" arrow. The iPad will restart after a couple of minutes. Resetting this way will not hurt anything, and sometimes clears up mysterious problems.

Fred

May 22, 2012 6:28 PM in response to donnafrombrewster

Donna-

Yours must be out of the one year warranty. If it is still in warranty, they should either repair or replace it with one that works. Ask to talk to a manager if they refuse to honor the warranty.

If out of warranty, it might pay you to look for an Apple Authorized Repair Center. There may be one in your city. They should be able to fix a bad microphone for less than $240. <Apple Authorized Repair Centers>

Fred

Aug 22, 2013 5:14 AM in response to evandre1724

hi everyone

my ipad's 2 microphone is not working anymore. even with the headset its not working. There is alao no waranty since its almost 2 years old. i guess according to the discussion above. i have to send it to apple service center. but i would like to know the reparing cost for the microphone!

Any feedback is appreciated

iPad 2 microphone not working. On 4.3.3. Please HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.