Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Stop Background Music - Must be a "Ghost in the Machine"

Here's andodd one. Evey once in a while a certain audio clip that I cut out of a movie plays itself. Once it starte, after that It keeps on playing even if I go through ALL o the open applications and close them one byone. EVen used Force Qit to checkk for something that somehow "stays open" but nothing shows up.

The only common factor I can see is that every time it hapens, I have had Safari and iTunes both open. But no puting iTunes on Pause, or even closing it stops this from playing. It does respond to the keyboard based volume controls. It does not loop.

Any experience with this one my friends?

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 10:21 PM

6 replies

Nov 26, 2011 9:42 AM in response to X423424X

Yes, but to be more precise, the "Song Ghost" (that's his new name from now on...) launches with open browser and with iTunes active. It just does not stop when I close out either one or both of them.

On the activity Monitor - Good idea, and thanks. Will look at Activity Monitor, but inorder to do that I will have to keep it running all of the time, so its there when the "ghost" comes back. The clip plays, (kind of faintly in the background and over top of any other audio that may be running, and when it ends, it ends. No looping, no repeat, and no next song so to speak. Its speculation on my part, but the actual sound file must be either hidden, or in an area that spotlight does not search, or (and this is the least likely explanation) I just have not searched on the right file name or partial name. I know exactly WHAT it is, just not where, and what app is running it.

Its a strange one, for sure.

Off now to set activity monitor to auto launch at log-in

Thanks again.

Nov 26, 2011 12:12 PM in response to Boris the Loud Listener

Will look at Activity Monitor, but inorder to do that I will have to keep it running all of the time, so its there when the "ghost" comes back.

Why not just launch AE when the song is playing? The goal here was to identify a process that might be playing it while it is playing.

I know exactly WHAT it is, just not where, and what app is running it.

Then use the finder find command (cmd-f), not spotlight. Search for kind=name if you know the name. Or alternatively use Find any File.

Cannot Stop Background Music - Must be a "Ghost in the Machine"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.