Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro randomly shutting itself off?

Hi, my MacBook Pro keeps on randomly shutting itself down along with my charger (as in the light wont show anymore when plugged in). And when it does suddenly shut down, I can't turn my laptop back on unless I do the following: first I detach my charger from my laptop. Second I wait awhile or close my laptop and open it up again then I am able to turn it back on. The next thing I do is if I want my charger to actually work again (its not charging even though I attach it back to my laptop that is turning on), I must first unplug my charger from its outlet and re-plug it in, and that's how it will once again charge my laptop. I have no idea why this keeps on occurring, and it has occurred more often today then it ever had, so much so that I am compelled to ask help from the apple community. Please help me and tell me what should I do. Thank you.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 10:18 PM

4 replies

Nov 26, 2011 11:44 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

My new MacBook Pro is doing the same thing and I just bought it 11-22-11. I am new to mac, after years on a PC, and I have had mixed messages about whether to use the Mac plugged in once it is fully charged, or use it for hours on the batter and wait for it to run all the way down before charging. When I am fully charged and I am going to be at if for a long time, I find that the screen will go black like it has shut off, keyboard goes black to. Like the person before me asked, if I unplug the power cord from the Mac, the screen comes back. Hmmmm. Do I have a problem with the charger on my Mac? Thanks for helping this Newbee too!

Dec 1, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Dyrus

Can somebody help? My Charger on my Macbook pro turns from green to orange indicating that it's charging. My problem is that after a couple of minutes turns to green again then back to oange (indicating it's cahrging). This occurs all the time. It's kinda fluctuates. This happened after I updated to OSX Mavericks. Hope somebody could lead me to cure this. Thanks.

Macbook Pro randomly shutting itself off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.