Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes keeps asking me for a password to "Sign in to use this computer for automatic downloads"

I am finding the latest version of ITunes very annoying. No matter if I de-authorise and re authorise mymachine it still keeps asking me for a password to "Sign in to use this computer for automatic downloads". How can you fix this annoying bug??

It’s really annoying that if you don’t enter a password or click cancel it will keep popping up looking for a password over ALL other programs.

Can someone tell me how can I get ITunes to remember my password and stop having to re enter it every time I load up ITunes ?

iPod touch, IPod touch Nike+ Sensor

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 1:04 AM

112 replies

Nov 26, 2011 1:45 AM in response to aindriu

I am also looking for a solution to this. Even if I go to settings and turn off automatic downloads it keeps asking for the password.

The only temporary solution I have found is to go to store in iTunes and log out. That way it will stop asking for the password untill you log in to the store again.

I don;t know if Apple has a system for bug reporting, if it does I have not found it.

Dec 1, 2011 6:21 PM in response to mister9

Someone said they reported the bug on Nov 17 Sometimes I get "cannot connect to apple store", even though i have dissabled store in parental preferences .. as a change from the password request twice ... I never enter anything. I don't know if it matters if you do or not.

I just logged into the iTunes store having just reset my password which I had forgotten .. I have now found the wretched messages have stopped .. touch wood. It took me hours to work out how to post here. Now I'm going to sleep. I felt I had to write something before I do. I hope it makes sense 🙂

Dec 5, 2011 5:16 PM in response to justahobo

Probably the worst bug I've ever seen from apple - so unlike them to overlook a foul user experience like this. REALLY tired of having it ask me twice for password. And oh yeah -the preferences that allow you to uncheck the box for auto downloads? Worthless, cause no matter what you choose, once you fire up itunes again you will be asked, again.

APPLE - how about a bit of logic on this one??

I've submitted a report via their feedback link: itunes/feedback I encourage ALL of your to do the same. Only way we will get some action on this.

Dec 6, 2011 3:05 AM in response to sublimeinfluence

As I said in my last post, I logged into my itunes account in the normal way .. not from the two prompts which annoyed the **** out of me. I then logged out of the store again, and disabled the iTunes store the only way I know how, in parental preferences. The two prompts no longer appear.

I do however get a message that i can not connect to the itunes store if I start iTunes with no internet connection.

This I can live with since it does not seem to affect things like downloading podcasts and/or updating my iPod, which as I recall, was not possible while the password prompts were showing.

It is a bug which Apple seem to have ignored ..yes I have reported it, but this work around keeps me happy.

If you don't have an itunes account and have no wish to, I'm not sure how this helps, but if you are posting here then the log in is the same for the itunes store .. not the most secure system perhaps, but that is another topic.

ITunes keeps asking me for a password to "Sign in to use this computer for automatic downloads"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.