Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to backup an iPhone without the SIM card?

I've been an iPhone 3G user until recently when I bought my unlocked iPhone 4S. I was informed that I need to get my SIM card clipped in order for it to fit the new phone. My situation is that I'm actually traveling in overseas at the moment and do not have my computer with me to backup my old iPhone 3G. So my question is: can I go ahead and clip my SIM card now and then backup my iPhone 3G later without any SIM card, and finally syncing my new iPhone 4S? Or must I have my SIM card in the old iPhone 3G while backing it up?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 4:52 AM

Having a SIM card in the device has no bearing on whether it will backup or sync with iTunes.

A SIM card is required to activate the device and use a carriers services (voice, data, sms).

Instead of trimming the SIM card, you are better off getting a microSIM from your carrier. If you accidentally mess up trimming the SIM card it will become useless.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2011 4:52 AM in response to rolf lee

Having a SIM card in the device has no bearing on whether it will backup or sync with iTunes.

A SIM card is required to activate the device and use a carriers services (voice, data, sms).

Instead of trimming the SIM card, you are better off getting a microSIM from your carrier. If you accidentally mess up trimming the SIM card it will become useless.

Is it possible to backup an iPhone without the SIM card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.