Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lexmark Printer Not Working. Model X4580

Hi,

Can anyone help?

I have a Macbook Pro, running Lion. I also have a Wireless Lexmark Printer Model X4580.

Does anyone know whether there are any drivers for this printer, when I plug it in, the apple update can't find any, and I've had a look on the Lexmark site and downloaded some of the drivers they recommend, but it just won't have it!

It has worked previously with my mac when I had snow leopard, but since I've gone to Lion it just won't work.

Thanks.

Chris

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Lexmark Printer

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 7:57 AM

4 replies

Dec 1, 2011 2:39 PM in response to DuffyC

Hi, please carefully follow the steps below to successfully install your Lexmark printer on your Mac Lion.

Situation A: If you have a brand new Mac with Lion:

1. Run the Lexmark X4580 Printer Driver installer.
  2. Add the printer queue via Print & Fax. Follow the instructions in this article: How to Manually Add a USB Print Queue, Network Print Queue and Fax Queue on Mac OS X Systems
  3. Run the Apple Software Update and get the Lexmark 2.6 Drivers installed.

Situation B: If your Mac got Lion via Apple's Software Update:

1. Run the Repair Disk Permissions on your computer.
  2. Run the Cleanup Tool from the Lexmark website. Follow the instructions in this article: Removing Lexmark Files on your Mac 10.7 Computer
  3. And do the steps from Situation A above.

Then try to print your document to verify that the printer is properly installed on your Mac Lion.

Hope this helps.

Dec 4, 2011 8:59 AM in response to Lexmark Listens

Hi,

I tried what you have suggested and encountered the following problems.

Firstly, when I dragged the clean up tool into Terminal, it did not request my admin password, and it appeared that all the cleanup tools attempts to remove the files were rejected as at the end of each line it simply said "permission denied"

So, I searched for all the lexmark files manually, selected everything and deleted them

I then went back through the whole installation process, and the printer will work with a USB, but won't work wirelessly, so I'm no further forward.

It shows the green light after completing the wireless set up, but when you disconnect the usb, and attempt to print, the printer programme shows that the printer is "offline" and can't commuincate with it, even though the wirelss light is showing green.

I also get a message to say that I need to download further software when I plug the printer in, so go through the apple update, which results in nothing, and "contact the manufacturer"

As I said, the printer will work on a usb, but its a wireless, and I was hoping to work it wirelessly.

Are there any other suggestions???

Dec 14, 2011 11:05 AM in response to DuffyC

Sounds to me like only the USB print queue was added. You'll need to add a network print queue under Print & Fax. Try these steps:

1. Navigate to: System Preferences > Print & Scan
  2. Click + .
  3. On the Default tab, select the printer from the list of discovered printers.

4. A print queue will be created in Print & Scan.

Do this while the USB cable is unplugged. Please tell me how it goes.

Lexmark Printer Not Working. Model X4580

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.