Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use Iphone 4 as an mp3 player without a sim card until I get one?

Hi,

How can I use Iphone 4 as an mp3 player without a sim card until I get one? I just bought the phone and each time I try to switch it on to use the mp3 player, I cannot. It asks me to insert a sim card and I don't have a sim card yet. I was thinking I could use the mp3 player function of my phone until I buy a sim card.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 2:24 PM

9 replies

Nov 26, 2011 2:36 PM in response to zerdil

1. To use the phone without cell service, first activate the phone with a wireless carrier, then use the deactivated SIM card from when it was last used as a phone.

2. You can use the phone with local carriers (with their local SIM cards) when you travel ONLY IF THE IPHONE IS OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED - either by the local carrier it's locked to or was purchaced as factory unlocked.

Nov 26, 2011 2:48 PM in response to modular747

Thank you, I understand, yeah, I knew that, my phone is factory unlocked and I am going home, which is obviously not in the States and I am thinking of buying a local carrier there. However, I still have 2 weeks before I leave and cannnot wait to start using my Iphone 4. I thought at least I could use the mp3 player function. So as far as I understand, I cannot activate it without a sim card. I have been using metropcs for about two years and it does not have a sim card. In this case, do I really not have another choice but wait for two weeks to listen to music? My Mp3 player just failed me and I really need to listen to music but on the other hand, while I can use my iphone as an mp3 player in two weeks, I don't want to spend more money on a new one. So, do you have another suggestion? For instance, can I use a friend's sim card to activate mine? Would this cause any trouble, when I go home and buy a local carrier? I think these questions might kinda sound weird to you, but first time with an Iphone, extremely excited to start using under my circumstances, I need help 🙂 thanks,

How can I use Iphone 4 as an mp3 player without a sim card until I get one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.