Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove groups from iPhone 4s

After syncing my iPhone and using iCloud, I updated to ios 5.01. Several problems meant a full restore! Now I've got duplicate groups in my contacts. Well, I did - I deleted all the contacts from within the groups and deleted the groups off my Mac. I synced using the replace contacts on this iPhone option but the empty duplicate groups are still there! I've tried restarts but can't get rid of these groups. I've deleted my iCloud account because I'm fed up with this but they are still there.

Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), iPhone 4S

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 2:41 PM

12 replies

Dec 1, 2011 3:24 AM in response to StuartH

I am having the same problem. I cannot delete an old group from my iPhone. The group name still shows up in my Contacts app under iCloud, even though it is not present in my Mac Address Book or the iCloud website.

I have my Address Book on my Mac set up with my iCloud account. My Address Book shows no groups. The iCloud website shows no contact groups. However, this old old group is still showing up on my iPhone.

I've tried logging out of iCloud from all devices. I've tried restarting everything. I've tried restoring my iPhone.

Nothing has worked.

Please help!

Dec 1, 2011 3:33 AM in response to pulsebeat

I found the solution for me was to do with my other iMac! I had deleted the groups from my main iMac and through iCloud.com but my older iMac still had the groups. Once I deleted it from that one too, went to iTunes and checked the box to replace contacts from my iPhone it worked after the next sync and the groups were gone - for good!

Hope this helps.

Dec 1, 2011 10:02 AM in response to StuartH

I was able to resolve my problem by doing the following...

• I double checked that the contacts in my Mac Address Book and https://www.icloud.com/ were correct.
  • I then exported my contacts from the Mac Address Book for backup purposes (in case what I was about to do didn't work).
  • I disabled Contacts in the iCloud setting on my Mac and my iPhone.
  • I connected my iPhone to my Mac and enabled Adress book syncing in iTunes.
  • I deleted all the contacts in my Mac Address Book.
  • Back in iTunes, I disabled Address Book syncing. A pop-up window came up that asked if I wanted to proceed and delete my contacts. I agreed to delete.
  • I checked my phone. The contacts were completely gone, including my old stubborn group!
  • I re-enabled Contacts in the iCloud settings on my Mac and my iPhone.
  • I watched as both of them filled up with the exact same Contacts from the cloud. Of course the old group was still gone!

I hope this helps someone else in the same situation.

Feb 2, 2012 2:22 PM in response to pulsebeat

pulsebeat's step by step solution worked perfectly for me. A couple clarifications:

-When I disabled Contacts in the iCloud setting on my mac (step 3), a box popped up asking if I wanted to remove my contacts. I answered Yes, knowing I had already done an export for a backup.

-When I disabled iCloud contacts on my phone (step 3) it asked if I wanted to remove my contacts. I said Yes.

-When I went to delete all the Contacts in my Mac Addressbook (step 5), the contacts were already deleted because I had answered Yes in step 3. However, I did delete all the now empty Group category names still showing on the mac.

-After disabling Address Book syncing in iTunes (step 6) I then synced my phone using the new setting.

-After reenabling contacts to iCloud on my mac and phone (step 8) I did another sync. That's when all my contacts reappeared on both mac and phone.

It was freaky to see my contacts gone from both my mac and my phone. But as soon as I reset the preferences to iCloud as described by pulsebeat and did a sync both the phone and the mac addresbooks filled right before my eyes via iCloud. Very cool.

Thanks pulsebeat!

Sep 3, 2012 5:25 PM in response to StuartH

Hi, I have iPhone 4S and I am on a pc. I need help syncing my "All Contacts" group to icloud. For some reason I have 4 different types of groups when it comes to contacts: All contacts, all from my pc, all Yahoo, and iCloud. I only want to sync and view in iClould the "All contacts" groups which contains 160 entries...however when I open up iCloud I only see 2 entries which are from the goup All iCloud. Can someone please explain or help me on how to load all my contacts to iCloud? I am not sure what I am doing wrong and before I delete all my contacts can someone suggest a solution. Thanks

Sep 11, 2012 11:35 AM in response to Knight.sy

I followed Knight.sy's solution which worked great and was very simple and quick. I used Speed Names which is a great way to handle groups and move contacts into groups on an iPhone or iPad.

One caution, however, it removed both the duplicate and the original group, so you might want to move all the contacts in a group to a newly formed group (with a slightly different name) realizing that you are removing both the duplicate and the original group. I did this with subsequent duplicate groups after my experience with the first deletion.

Remove groups from iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.