Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight not working on user account

Okay so I did all the troubleshooting techniques and narrowed it down to my iSight not working on my main account.

It works perfectly fine on another account though.

Does anyone know how to fix it on my main account?

I really don't want to have to log into my guest account every time I want to use Photobooth.

I have a Macbook Pro running OS X version 10.5.8

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 3:42 PM

2 replies

Nov 27, 2011 8:38 AM in response to Cassie D

Well done! You have used the troubleshooting tips to prove that your normal (old) user account is damaged.

Cassie D wrote: ... Does anyone know how to fix it on my main account? ... 10.5.8

Because there are many thousands of files in any OS X system, I have never successfully "repaired" a user account. It is faster, easier, and more reliable to merely change to a new account that works properly. Here is how I do it.

First, if you do not already have one, make a current backup of your important files. If you need help, see: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1553

Next, decide whether you want to use one of the existing test user accounts that you already know works. Renaming account names can cause serious problems, so if you want a different name for your new everyday user account, it is best to create account with the name you like. Test the new account, too, to be sure it is working properly before proceeding.

Now, copy needed data from your backup into your new user account that works. Begin using this new account as your every-day "main" login account. Do not move or delete anything from the old (damaged) account at this time.

If you must add any third-party items to your new account, add only one at a time. Test thoroughly before adding another third-party item. This technique will help you quickly identify any particular item that might have been the cause of a conflict in your old account.

Use your new account long enough so you can be certain that everything you do with your Mac is working properly in the new account. Depending on how you use your Mac, this can take weeks or even months.

When you are certain that all is well with the new account that is now your normal account, you can throw away your damaged (old) original user account folder to reclaim its disk space.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Nov 27, 2011 1:23 PM in response to Cassie D

HI,

I have a different take on this.

IF... and it is a big if...

The Only app you are having problems with is Photo Booth in the Mac User Account you normally log-on to the computer with then you may get some success with deleting the .plist for this app.

If this is the case then it is the App that is at Fault - in so much that the bits of data stored for your account's use of it would appear to be corrupt. (i.e I mean it is not the whole User account that is at Fault but one small items that refers to a specific app)

This is not a fix you can apply to every app as .plists can store more that just settings.

However the com.apple.PhotoBooth.plist does not hold very much.

You can go to the Home Folder/Library/Preferences and delete it (Drag to Trash and Restart app).

It is fair to say that is less effective than deleting a similar.plist for iChat (it does not always work for Photo Booth) b ut it is a lot lees work than creating a New User account and transferring everything across.

User uploaded file
9:23 PM Sunday; November 27, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

iSight not working on user account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.