9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2014 7:57 PM by Adri007
tomfromflagstaff Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I held documents in print queue for several weeks while I had my printer packed for moving. System still backed up using Time Machine during this time. Before I reconnected printer, in trying to resolve another issue, I used Onyx software and deleted the cache (which apparently included the print queue). Now I want to recover the documents in the print queue from my time Machine back up but I am unable to find them.

Where does OS X 10.6 put the data to print documents from the print queue? What is the name of the file or folder where they are stored?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • 1. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?
    Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (89,725 points)

See if this will help...

Open System Preferences > Print & Scan then select the Print tab.

Click:  Open Print Queue...

• 2. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?

Thanks Carolyn but I know how to find the print queue. It is empty. I want to find all the documents I had IN the print queue.

• 3. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?

Clearly I have asked the wrong question. Please allow me to try again.

I have a Time Machine backup just before clearing my printer cache but I am having difficulty locating the file to restore the documents back into the print queue.

The genius at the genius bar at my local Apple store was not able to locate the storage location of the items in my print queue.

Is there a way to contact Apple to locate the data contained in the print queue in OS X 10.6?

• 4. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?
    Matt Broughton Level 5 Level 5 (4,905 points)

I think the misunderstanding is in using the term printer cache. I am not sure what you mean by that.  I took a look at Onyx in Lion and the only item I could find that might be what you mean is CUPS jobs.  Is this what you mean?

Screen Shot 2011-11-29 at 7.39.07 PM.png

At least in Lion, when only the CUPS jobs was checked, it did not delete the jobs that were queued up to print.

The only way to be sure if yoiur print jobs were retained is to use the Terminal command:

sudo ls /private/var/spool/cups

You will be prompted for your password which will not appear as you type it.  Any files that begin with the letter "d" are your queued print jobs.  Any files that begin with the letter "c" are the parameters for the corresponding print job.

If you don't find any queued print jobs by using that Terminal command, you have lost your print jobs.  Time Machine does not back up any of the spooled jobs or the control files from /var/spool/cups.

• 5. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?

Thank you Matt.

Yes, I assume that the CUPS job is what caused my difficulty.

And they are gone.

If I understand you correctly, restoring my system to the Time Machine back-up prior to performing this maintenance will not restore my system to it's state (including these print files) at the time of the back-up? How can that be? My understanding was that Time Machine backed-up everything.

Are there other vital files that Time Machine does not back up?

• 6. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?
    Matt Broughton Level 5 Level 5 (4,905 points)

tomfromflagstaff wrote:

Yes, I assume that the CUPS job is what caused my difficulty.

And they are gone.

As I mentioned, I only tried Onyx in 10.7.x.  Deleting the cache for the CUPS jobs did not actually remove a print job I had spooled.  I was able to "see" the file beginning the the "d" in /private/var/spool/cups and move it to my Desktop. 

Did you try the Terminal comand I had in my last post to see if there are any files in the spool directory?  You will not be able to see the files themselves as even administrators do not have enough privileges to view that directory.  The best you can do is use the sudo command to list the files.

The long and short of it is that if the files are not in /private/var/spool/cups, they are gone.

If I understand you correctly, restoring my system to the Time Machine back-up prior to performing this maintenance will not restore my system to it's state (including these print files) at the time of the back-up? How can that be? My understanding was that Time Machine backed-up everything.

Are there other vital files that Time Machine does not back up?

That is my understanding based on what I see in 10.7.x.  Time Machine does not back up any caches or any of the files in /private/var/spool/cups.  Time Machine will also not back up any other caches or system logs.  I don't have a list of what it does not back up.  I am not even sure if there is such a list available to users.

• 7. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?
    Gregory Rivers Level 2 Level 2 (450 points)

Dear Matt,

I too would like to backup my print queue. I usually keep print jobs in the queue for a couple of weeks and then print them all at once. twice, I have lost the queue and it's quite troublesome when that happens.

if I were to backup the /spool/cups/ directory, would that allow me to restore the queue if I needed to? would I need additional terminal commands to get the printer driver to notice the restored jobs?

sincerely,

Gregory

(Mountain Lion 10.8.5)

• 8. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?
    kafelatte Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)

Thanks the info folks! I had a similar need. The contents of CUPS are indeed the unprinted queue docs, PDFs apparently. I didn't figure out how to return them to the queue (so easy in the old days!), but can add the PDF extension and archive.

• 9. Re: Where are items stored in print queue?
    Adri007 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hey Matt, so what if I have those files that start with a "d" such as:

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

c00005                    c00016                    cache                    d00011-001          d00023-001

c00006                    c00017                    d00001-001          d00013-001          d00024-001

c00007                    c00018                    d00002-001          d00014-001          d00025-001

c00008                    c00019                    d00003-001          d00015-001          d00026-001

c00009                    c00020                    d00004-001          d00016-001          tmp

c00010                    c00021                    d00005-001          d00017-001

c00011                    c00022                    d00006-001          d00018-001

How do I recover them?