Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mdworker is irritated with my Aperture Library

I've been having periodic system hangs (hangs until I force a shut down). when I check the console log I find a zillion entries saying:

11/27/11 9:02:02.645 AM mdworker: (Normal) Import: exceeded time/resource use limits after 12003 milliseconds, reason:1 - find suspect file using: sudo mdutil -t 441183

ruing the mdutil command tells me the suspect file is Aperture Library.aplibrary

My Aperture library is 118GB (every photo I've taken since 2001) so perhaps when spotlight indexes it it just takes a REALLY long time? I'm hoping that's not it because I really don't want to go to the work of splitting up the library. I did repair permissions on the Aperture library but I didn't yet repair or rebuild the database. I did that not more than a month ago because of another problem.

any ideas?

Allison Sheridan

NosillaCast Podcast <edited by host>

A technology geek podcast with an EVER so slight Macintosh bias!

<edited by host>

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.2), MacBook Pro 2011

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 11:41 AM

Do you need Spotlight to index your Library? I'd put it in Spotlight's "Privacy" list (i.e.: "ignore these"), then reboot and then repair your Library (using the usual trouble-shooting tools) and then reboot again.

Once that settles down, you can add your Library back, but you should set it up so that Spotlight can run uninterrupted at least overnight. The initial indexing is the problem (or was for me, under Snow Leopard). Once it was finished I had no further problems.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2011 11:41 AM in response to Allison Sheridan

Do you need Spotlight to index your Library? I'd put it in Spotlight's "Privacy" list (i.e.: "ignore these"), then reboot and then repair your Library (using the usual trouble-shooting tools) and then reboot again.

Once that settles down, you can add your Library back, but you should set it up so that Spotlight can run uninterrupted at least overnight. The initial indexing is the problem (or was for me, under Snow Leopard). Once it was finished I had no further problems.

Dec 1, 2011 7:05 AM in response to netnothing

I wish I could change Kirby's answer from Helpful to Correct, because putting the aperture library in the Spotlight's Privacy list fixed the indexing problem. Now if I could figure out what the NEXT thing crashing my system is...but that's a subject for the USB forum, not Aperture...

Allison Sheridan

NosillaCast Podcast

A technology geek podcast with an EVER so slight Macintosh bias!

<Edited by Host>

Dec 1, 2011 4:03 AM in response to Allison Sheridan

Gladit worked 🙂 .

Good luck with the USB issue -- I had a USB mouse that caused kernal panics on one machine only. A very willing technician and I spent a week trying to debug it, and then gave up. (Fwiw, that was on -- iirc -- Tiger.)

(PS: I think links such as in your signiture are prohibited by the User Agreement. Our Host edits them out.)

mdworker is irritated with my Aperture Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.