Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a PBG4 and want a new processor?

I cannot update to the new OS, new updates for iTunes or anything on this older notebook. Other than using my newer MBP17, I do not want to waste this machine. I have a bond with it, and I just want to see what options I may have to upgrade the processor to speed things up enough to download the newer updates and applications.

Thanks

GMD

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 11:45 AM

1 reply

Nov 27, 2011 3:02 PM in response to GMDesigns

You can't change the processor in your Powerbook. You didn't indicate which model you have, however, most aluminum PowerBooks are able to run 10.5 Leopard, which is the last PowerPC OS X release. Leopard will also run the current iTunes (although HD video won't work, as that requires an Intel processor). Leopard requires:

• A Mac computer with a Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster), G5, or Intel processor
  • 512 MB memory or more (1GB is better)
  • A DVD drive for installation
  • 9 GB of available disk space or more

PowerBooks still have performance in them. Where they are failing is with streaming internet video. Unfortunately, the world has left the PowerPC platform behind. There are some things you can do, for example, you can view YouTube video's in HTML5, which helps keep audio and video in sync. You can't, however, watch anything on ESPN as it requires current Flash, which in turn requires an Intel processor.

I have a PBG4 and want a new processor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.