Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS cracked open b/c of bloated battery

My 3GS exploded, literally. It cracked open on it's own because of the battery. This just happened tonight. I started hearing cracks every half hour or so. And next thing u know, burst open.

Has this happen to anyone?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:58 PM

17 replies

Jan 3, 2012 6:48 PM in response to MRP00

Jaap H & SilverCard,

this is bizzare that it could be just a bad batch of batteries. Wonder how many batteries are in this bad batch.

So, I called Apple and opened up a case (don't bother going to the Apple Store, they are of no help). My daugther was going to be using this as an iPod and God forbid if the battery exploded while she had it in her hand or something, the acid would've really harmed her. That's exactly what I Apple Support. They were wonderful in helping me out and understanding the danger.

They were willing to replace it with another iPhone 3GS but that's not what I wanted so they provided me the latest generation (4th) iPod Touch.

I would strongly suggest you call them and open up a case.

Jun 8, 2012 3:19 AM in response to MRP00

Last night my iPhone 3GS exploded too! I left it on my desk in a safe place, came back in the morning and this is what it looked like. The screen is cracked and the innards are obviously warped outward from what I assume is the battery expanding. No fire or anything, no burn marks, but there surely was some kind of problem with the battery.

User uploaded file

Aug 3, 2013 12:03 AM in response to MRP00

Hi MRP00,

Just happened to my old iPhone 3G. My son uses it as an ipod touch too, he had it on his desk beside him and said he heard a cracking sound and looked down to see the result. No heat or anything. I opened up a case with Apple and they rang immediately. Told me that my phone was waaay out of warranty, but he checked with his supervisor to see if they could do anything. Supervisor was super helpful and said that if it's the battery then repair is covered by Apple (at least here in Oz?). All I have to do is take it in to my local Apple Repair to verify issue and they will sort out a solution! Going in on Monday to see what they can do. I'll post an update.

Thanks heaps for the advice, MRP00!

User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2014 12:24 AM in response to Ginnbean

Just happened to mine ( iPhone 3) overnight. I had charged it, disconnected the charger, and left it sitting on the bedside table overnight. When I awoke it had popped open very much like yours. I can still use the phone after a bit of squeezing near the top on off switch to get it to turn on. The rest is all working once it starts up and the battery is still showing 3/4 full. I wanted to take it away with me on a cruise next week but I don't know if Apple will/can repair it in time. I don't know what will happen if I try to recharge it!

Feb 15, 2015 2:00 PM in response to pogster

iPod Touch 2G, same thing happened to me about a year or two ago. The iPod wasn't in much use throughout the years. In retrospect the battery may have been bad for quite a while. The screen front wasn't 100% flush with the metallic case since day 1. Also, after a year or two, an elongated discoloration appeared on the LCD. It disappeared after I started using the iPod more regularly, and reappeared when it sat unused for a while. Maybe related to pressure from the battery below that changed when the battery was exercised more?

Very disappointing. I thought Apple's hardware was supposed to be high quality.

Feb 15, 2015 2:02 PM in response to steppx

steppx wrote:

iPod Touch 2G, same thing happened to me about a year ago. The iPod wasn't in much use throughout the years. In retrospect the battery may have been bad for quite a while. The screen front wasn't 100% flush with the metallic case since day 1. Also, after a year or two, an elongated discoloration appeared on the LCD. It disappeared after I started using the iPod more regularly, and reappeared when it sat unused for a while. Maybe related to pressure from the battery below that changed when the battery was exercised more?

Very disappointing. I thought Apple's hardware was supposed to be high quality.

It is. This is an extremely rare occurrence, and it's not always traced back to a defect of the device. The vast majority of iOS devices never have this, or any other kind of issue.

Feb 15, 2015 2:20 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

With a super difficult access to the battery it's even more infuriating.

My LCD looks now slightly damaged after I separated the front screen and frame from the case. And after that I still don't have access to the battery because two of the screws that hold the LCD/battery tray had their heads stripped when I tried to open them. I'm guessing the metallic tray, that's malformed due the bulging battery, pressures the screws more than usual and makes it difficult to unscrew them. Combined with the soft metal the screws are made of, and I'm stuck.

iPhone 3GS cracked open b/c of bloated battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.