Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Eject Time Machine

I am trying to figure out how to eject Time Machine before I turn it off. It used to be I could right or double right click it on my Desk Top and it would give me a screen that said "eject Time Machine". I would them eject.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:51 PM

See Pondini's TM FAQs.

27" i7 iMac 10.6.8 , Mac OS X (10.7.2), G4 450 MP 1.5 GB RAM w/(10.5.8/10.4.11/9.2.2)

13 replies

Nov 28, 2011 5:23 PM in response to Pondini

I am talking about an external Hard drive that I am using for Time Machine. When I right click there are lots of choices but none like you illustrate and none with the word "eject" in it. This should be more user friendly. Dear friends thanks for making the effort to help me out.

Irv

PS I can't do a screen shot for you because I have given up on that computer and am giving it to my son who is an "IT" guy.

Mar 17, 2013 1:52 PM in response to irvingfromnewhall

i have a similar problem.

in Leopard, the external drive would appear in the Finder under Devices.

when i upgraded to Snow Leopard, that icon disappeared from the Finder.

(i tried to insert a screen grab here, but i can't figure out how to make it small enough to be allowed.)

the external hard drive is still backing up my MacBook; i'm just looking for a way to 'eject' Time Machine when i take my Mac off my desk.

thanks,

tom

Mar 17, 2013 1:59 PM in response to 1947lark

1947lark wrote:

i have a similar problem.

in Leopard, the external drive would appear in the Finder under Devices.

when i upgraded to Snow Leopard, that icon disappeared from the Finder.

Assuming you mean a directly-connected external HD (USB or FireWire), it should still appear. Go to Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and check the External disks box. If it's already checked, remove the check, then put it back.

(i tried to insert a screen grab here, but i can't figure out how to make it small enough to be allowed.)

Don't get the whole screen; use Shift+Cmd+4 -- that puts a "target" on the screen that you can use to outline a rectangle and grab just that portion.

Eject Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.