Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes wifi Sync stopped working

It's been since I upgraded my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 to 5.0.1 that I cannot wifi sync my devices.

I have a 2006 White MacBook with OS X 10.6.8, both iDevices upgraded to 5.0.1, last itunes version. My router is a linksys WRT54GL with the latest original firmware. Wifi security is WPA2 personal, TKIP+AES. OSX firewall is set to off. I am an IT engineer.

I have searched over net and looked for possible solutions here, so these are the procedures I tried:

1. restarting my mac, iDevices, and router
  2. updating firmware on my linksys router to the latest available
  3. turned off iphone while trying to see if itunes detects the ipad
  4. renew the dhcp lease on the ipad, and macbook
  5. set a static IP both for mac and ipad
  6. disconnect permanently the ipad from the router's wifi, then reconnect to it typing the password
  7. switch off both ipad and mac wifi.
  8. Remote app IS indeed working to control iTunes
  9. disable router's multicast filter: when I did this, my roommate, who has a win7 pc and an ipad2, was able to see its ipad in itunes, and he successfully synced
  10. disable router firewall
  11. create a custom wifi network with my macbook and connect only the ipad to it
  12. changing wifi channel
  13. set up port forwarding rules for TCP:123, 3689, UDP:123, 5353 to my mac static dhcp ip address

I'm running out of creativity... This problem must rely on apple side, since my roommate can sync wirelessly.

And since his ipad is working, there must be something wrong with itunes for mac, or in the way ipads interact with Macs.

The wifi sync DID work while on iOS 5.0.0, it all started after upgrading.

In any case I will not restore any of my devices, since it is not a problem caused by me.

Please Apple, fix this! Let me know if you need any logs.

Thanks,

Riccardo

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 1:19 AM

8 replies

Dec 5, 2011 12:23 AM in response to Riccardo Di Roberto

I looked into the Console to see what is going on.

This is what I found showing up when I set airplane mode off, and the ipad was set to sync wirelessly:

Dec 5 03:15:03 MacBook-Chicchi-2-Ghz com.apple.usbmuxd[21]: _SendAttachNotification (thread 0x7fff7105acc0): sending attach for device 58:1f:**:**:**:**@fe80::****:****:****:****._apple-mobdev._tcp.local.: _GetAddrInfoReplyReceivedCallback matched.

Dec 5 03:15:03 MacBook-2-Ghz com.apple.usbmuxd[21]: MuxNetworkInitiateConnect Client 0x10032c240-usbmuxd/NULL requesting attach to 4a2287ed14eef1769380582d13288cfd930f67a0:62078 failed, could not begin background connection attempt: -1

Dec 5 03:15:03 MacBook-2-Ghz com.apple.usbmuxd[21]: HandleUSBMuxConnect Client 0x10032c240-usbmuxd/NULL MuxNetworkInitiateConnect failed

Dec 5 03:15:03 MacBook-2-Ghz usbmuxd[21]: AMDeviceConnect (thread 0x102404000): Could not connect to lockdown port (62078) on device 31 - 4a2287ed14eef1769380582d13288cfd930f67a0: 0xe800006b.

Dec 5 03:15:03 MacBook-2-Ghz usbmuxd[21]: _AMDevicePreflightWorker (thread 0x102404000): Pair worker could not connect to lockdownd on device 31: 0xe800006b.

Dec 5 03:15:03 MacBook-2-Ghz com.apple.usbmuxd[21]: HandleDeviceAttachHelperCallback preflighting failed for WiFi device 0x1f-192.168.2.202:0: 0xe800006b. Ignoring device.

Dec 5, 2011 9:30 AM in response to hot_guitar

My wifi sync stopped working last week. Using iPod Touch 4g with iOS 5.0.1. To fix this problem I had to:

- Connect my ipod to my computer.

- sync

- while still connected to computer, go into Settings/General/iTunes Wi-Fi Sync

- Press Sync Now.

I suspect that, for what ever reason, a wi-fi sync was interrupted and could not finish. So I had to re-establish the wi-fi sync, after a manual sync.

Hope this helps.

-Jim

Dec 24, 2011 7:07 AM in response to Riccardo Di Roberto

My wifi sync stopped working. iTunes crashed-and-closed WHILE using Sync.

Using iPod Touch 4g with iOS 5.0.0. To fix this problem I had to:

- Connect my ipod to my computer.

- sync

Didn't work.

TRIED Syncing thru "Settings" (on ipod) while wired to Macbook. Didn't work.

Day or 2 later, went back into Settings-General-Wi-Fi Sync on iPod (while NOT connected to Macbook) and tried Sync again. WORKED!

I suspect that, for what ever reason, a wi-fi sync was interrupted and could not finish.

I suspect 'Tunes needed to recieve the Sync command wirelessly to restart after a corrupted Sync.

And could only work after being told "This device OK" AND "This Device" SENDING the Sync command

Hope this helps.

Tod

Oct 4, 2013 9:07 AM in response to Riccardo Di Roberto

You are da man, Riccardo! I pulled up your post in the results of a search for "usbmuxd" after Little Snitch popped up a connection request. I've been unable to sync over WiFi for over a year and did not think about LS being the culprit, mainly because I have only one Deny rule -- nothing that would lock usbmuxd -- and no connection alerts when I try to sync.

But I put in a rule to allow all outgoing connections by usbmuxd to port 62078 and I'm finally able to sync. Thanks!

Oct 6, 2013 8:56 AM in response to Riccardo Di Roberto

I have the same issue. Update to 11.1 and my iphone 4 and iPad to new OS7. Both synced fine to itunes then update to 7.0.2 on iPhone try to get back on computer to sync and phone and ipad wouldn't show up in itunes. Kept gettinga message of do you trust this computer or some nonsense. Of course pressed trust this computer and nothing happened. Checks USB cord restart itunes and computer and nothing. My Mac was picking up my phone bc iPhoto popped up but itunes didn't. If someone could please help me that would be great and save me a 4 hr car drive to the apple store.

iTunes wifi Sync stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.