Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop Apple TV from displaying during songs

I have the latest generation Apple TV and it's currently used in a family room/dining room area so it's nice to play a "Dinner Music" playlist, etc. when we have guests over. The problem...I hate having the album cover displaying, along with the time bar for the song. Unfortunately, this is configured with a new Bose amplifier system that requires the TV be on in order to work. Normally, I would just turn off the TV and have no picture, but I can't.

I have tried creating a pure black background image and having the Apple TV use that as the screensaver, but for some reason, it takes forever for it to kick in, and then it often just doesn't work. Any other ideas? Thanks.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 256GB - 24" LED Cinema Display

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:53 AM

18 replies

Aug 21, 2017 7:39 PM in response to Larry McJunkin

I have a new Sony XBR 65x750d that has a "picture off" button. -- Just turns off the screen and backlight (screen goes completely dark) but there's no interruption of audio pass through on the HDMI.

I do wish the Apple TV could be setup to do that automatically when playing music... but ... having one button to press is better than none.

May not help you, but...

Nov 28, 2011 6:57 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

You should be able set the screensaver show during music playback. You can also then select a photo album to display. I have photoshop elements which works nicely, but there are other photo applications (or create a Flickr account just for this purpose.) and save a black image and have that be the only item in the album.

Alternatively, you should be able to turn off just the power to the TV, either via remote or diretcly from the TV set, and leave the Bose system turned on.

Nov 28, 2011 7:28 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

Larry, I use two methods.

1. same as you play music on AppleTV. It uses the iTunes library on my iMac. I have a screensaver display pictures from my iMac. I like to have the pictures display instead of a black screen.

2. I play the music from iTunes on my iMac. Then select the apple TV as the remote speaker for iTunes. I use my ipod touch or iPhone as a remote control for iTunes. Screen saver still displays my photos.

That doesnt help your screen saver problem. Here are my screen saver settings:

Start After : 2 minutes

Show during Music : yes

Photos: Bob WIld's Libary

Screen Savers: Classic

in Classic>

Time per Slide: 20 seconds

Transistions: Cube

Hope that helps.

Nov 28, 2011 8:44 AM in response to harv55

Harv55...now I have another problem. I spent most of yesterday re-organizing my iPhoto library, so this morning for this test I created a new event, named it Apple TV, and added one picture to it...the black.jpg I want to use for the screensaver. It won't show up on the Apple TV under events, or pictures. It appears the changes I made in reorganizing the pics yesterday show up on the Apple TV...but I thought anything I added to my library on the Mac would be instantly seen on Apple TV. Is that not the case?

I also tried creating a new Album and adding the black.jpg to it. Same thing, it didn't show up on Apple TV.

Nov 28, 2011 9:16 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

Well, I've figured it out, but it appears to be an actual bug. I went to iTunes | Advanced | Choose Photo to Share...and it was already set on "Entire Library". I change it to a single Event, pressed APPLY, then changed it back to "Entire Library"...pressed APPLY again and now the new event and folder show up on Apple TV.

I'll go do the network test now and see if the ATV2 is actually sending a WOL packet.

Nov 28, 2011 9:31 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

@Harv55: OK...the computer is not waking, so that's the problem. I don't know if it's an issue with ATV2 or with Lion, but I have Energy Saver set to "Wake on LAN Access" (and I've tried toggling it on/off). If I put the computer to sleep and then turn on ATV2 it searches for iTunes for awhile and then reports that it can't find it. If the computer is awake, it finds it just fine.

I really don't want to keep my AirBook running 24/7 so would like to fix this. I wonder if this a bug in Lion?

Nov 28, 2011 9:34 AM in response to Larry McJunkin

It might be a NIC driver setting to enable WOL. I don't have a Mac...sadly. I could try to reproduce with my PC to see if it wakes up from sleep.

I've noticed with ATV albums they are not in alphabetical order, but seem to be in chronological order with the newest albums at the bottom. Have you scrolled all the way donw in the Picture Albums from your ATV?

How to stop Apple TV from displaying during songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.