Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sync calendar between Outlook 2007 and iCloud

I've just downloaded and installed the iCloud Control Panel on my office Windows 7 machine. I enabled Calendar and Task syncing with Outlook on my Windows machine. However, when I opened Outlook calendar, I was surprised to see my iCloud calendar adjacent to my Outlook calendar in Outlook. I'd expected that iCloud would have synced the two calendars. In other words, I was hoping the calendar entries from my Outlook calendar would be merged with those from my iCloud calendar resulting in a single calendar. Now, I've simply got two calendars instead of one. If I want to add an entry to both calendars, must I add it in both places now? That doesn't seem very efficient. Is there a way to merge the entries into a single calendar?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:20 AM

If you export your Outlook calendar entries you can use Outlook to import them to your iCloud calendar. From there I think you can configure Outlook to set your iCloud calendar as your default calendar moving forward.

i.e. export Outlook "old" calendar to iCal file. Then from Outlook, import the iCal file with the iCloud calendar as the target.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2011 7:20 AM in response to iceman_tx

If you export your Outlook calendar entries you can use Outlook to import them to your iCloud calendar. From there I think you can configure Outlook to set your iCloud calendar as your default calendar moving forward.

i.e. export Outlook "old" calendar to iCal file. Then from Outlook, import the iCal file with the iCloud calendar as the target.

Nov 28, 2011 7:52 AM in response to harv55

My company uses outlook for email and scheduling. Thus, I'm reluctant to configure outlook to set icloud as my default calendar. Do you know if doing so will inhibit my ability to receive calendar invitations from outlook? I suspect I'll still be able to receive outlook appointment requests, but once accepted, those entries will populate my outlook calendar not my icloud calendar. I'm looking for a seamless syncing solution between iCloud and Outlook. From what I'm seeing, that doesn't seem to be possible at this time. Sounds good in theory, but the practical application leaves a lot to be desired.

Nov 28, 2011 8:16 AM in response to iceman_tx

iceman_tx wrote:

My company uses outlook for email and scheduling. Thus, I'm reluctant to configure outlook to set icloud as my default calendar. Do you know if doing so will inhibit my ability to receive calendar invitations from outlook? I suspect I'll still be able to receive outlook appointment requests, but once accepted, those entries will populate my outlook calendar not my icloud calendar. I'm looking for a seamless syncing solution between iCloud and Outlook. From what I'm seeing, that doesn't seem to be possible at this time. Sounds good in theory, but the practical application leaves a lot to be desired.

You're expectation is exactly correct, even with iCloud set as the default account invitations, and contacts sent as vCards will go to Outlooks local folders, there is no way that I know of to change this behavior. Additionally outlook Today will continue to reflect the local calendar.

Nov 28, 2011 12:54 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1,

Thanks for the reply. I guess my wish for seemless syncing between iCloud and Outlook is just a pipe dream. I really liked the idea of keeping my calendars in sync amongst all of my devices. That works like a charm in iCloud on my iDevices. But, the introduction of the Outlook calendar throws a kink into the system. I guess I was hoping the iCloud Control Panel would do more than simply placing an iCloud calendar adjacent to my current calendar in Outlook.

Thanks again for your help.

Dec 2, 2011 10:51 AM in response to iceman_tx

I agree with your expectations. Apple took something that wasn't broke and broke it without telling anyone what they did. Users are expected to figure out solutions to problems as the problems arise. Despite spending over four hours with an Apple tech support person to solve problems like disappearing Outlook calendars, tasks, contacts, and duplicated entries in calendars and tasks, the problems remain unsolved. Even tech support wasn't aware of some of the problems created by iOS5. Apple appears to have rushed iCloud to the public prior to working out problems through beta testing. The net result is a frustrated and fed-up clientele.

Sep 24, 2012 12:30 PM in response to deltavee777

I agree 100 % with deltavee777 take on the issue. I just spent an hour on tech support just to hear them tell me it was a Microsoft issue. I don't know the exact dates, but I believe Outlook 2007 came before iCloud control panel. I wish I had seen this post and I wouldn't have wasted the hour. Shame on me. The fundamental flaw that I see (I'm not a software developer) is that iCloud control panel should just sync with Outlook. Why do they have to change the way it works or at least use the pst file format so there is some compatibility. This issue is easliy resolved if the iCloud data shortcut was able to be made "default."

I'm switching to have my calendar sync with Hotmail or Gmail. They can still sync with the iCloud.

Oct 19, 2012 12:28 PM in response to iceman_tx

I could not get iclould to work well with oultook and just took it off. Wished I had reviewed the forums as there seem to be a lot of issues with outlook and icloud, depsite initially looking like a very good solution. I am running Office 7 64 bit with Outook 2007, on the machine, not an exhange server. Also wanted to sync contacts and calendar with an iPad and Android phone, so perhaps a bit more challenging. After setting up icloud on Windows 7, calendar on outlook synced well with iPpad and android, but I could never get the ipad entries back into the others. Contacts seemd to sync correcly with iPad and oultook, but no solution for android phone. Many calls and discusions, and review of forums resulted in removing icloud which is not so easy. The entries in those calendar and contact files have to be copied back to the original folders and then remove icloud. I then set up iTunes to do the sync and it works. However outlook still had the folders so further clean up was required. Removing icloud does not restore outlook,so it's a bad set up in my view. The modification icloud makes to outlook are not simple to reverse. MIxed level of support does nto help, though today I received pretty capable support with pretty good outlook knowledge. What I was told seemd to work, so I will stck with Itunes for now.

Sync calendar between Outlook 2007 and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.