Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile manager ships wrong value to mail iOS client

I have been using the Profile Manager on my new 10.7.2 server. In many ways it's an improvement on the old configuration tool.

However, I am having one problem when trying to provision the iOS Mail application. I now have a simple test case that fails every time.

Build a settings profile for an already enrolled iPhone. Configure the payload with server addresses, etc. Now set Authentication Type to MD5 Challenge-Response. Save the profile and wait for it to install on the device.

Now on the device Settings -> Mail -> 'the new profile' -> account -> advanced only to discover that authentication has been set to 'Password'!!!

Has anyone else seen this problem? Where on the server can one inspect the payload to see if it is correct. Anyone got a bypass?

Many thanks J

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:51 AM

7 replies

Dec 12, 2013 7:15 PM in response to JTW

I have a solution that worked for me.

Unable to change the setting on the iPhone from "Password" to "MD5 Challenge/Response" means that the only way to get these misconfigured client settings working was to allow PLAIN password on the server.

By opening the Server Admin tool and going to this settings:

Mail service >> Settings >> Advanced >> IMAP/POP

I was able to enable PLAIN logins for IMAP/POP. The iPhone clients could now authenticate.

To ensure this is NOT a security risk, make sure all your push profiles force SSL, and you ONLY allow the server to listen for IMAP/POP over SSL connections. Also do NOT enable the PLAIN > CLEAR option. This way the server will only allow plain password over SSL encrypted connections.

User uploaded file

Profile manager ships wrong value to mail iOS client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.