Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

clip names showing in iMovie

I've finally given up and trying to use iMovie '11 (still much prever the way iMovie 6 works, but I want to use some of the new options).

In the event window (I think that is the name) the one that shows the clips, none are named and I can't find a way to sort them.

They are in random order it seems and without 'revealing in finder' trying to figure out which is which is a pain.

The help was no help at all- searches talk about naming the clips, but I think that is the older versions.

How do I sort them, show the names? I have quite a few clips and this is a royal pain to deal with.

Mark

Mac Pro- 2x2.26 Quad-Core, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 14 gig RAM- 30" Cinema Display

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 10:03 AM

5 replies

Oct 8, 2012 6:16 AM in response to Mark Hollingsworth

There is a way around this. I had the same need and the only thing I could think of was to name each seperate event by the clip's name. Here's how I did it:

1. In the Finder, select a movie
  2. Copy its name
  3. Create a new folder
  4. Paste the name you've just copied in the folder name field
  5. Move the movie in that folder
  6. Repeat this process for every movie you want to see the name of in iMovie
  7. Once done, move all the folders into your iMovie Events folder
  8. Launch iMovie, if it was open close it and relaunch it
  9. Upon opening, iMovie will create the thumnail and cache folder. This may take some time. Then all your clips should appear as seperate events.

Depending on the ammount of clips you have, doing things this way may be a long and tedious process, but it works. I tried to create an AppleScript script that would automate this, but I did not succeed. Remember, this is only a way around this iMovie limitation.

Dec 29, 2012 4:02 PM in response to Mark Hollingsworth

Hey Mark:

I am just as frustrated! I was able to import a series of clips from a tennis match and by accident...they were all in the correct order...but I have been trying to do the same ever since and I can 't figure out how to do it! Even if I can manually re arrange the order of the clips...that would help somewhat..but I feel I have been going around in circles, and I am very close to ditch using IMovie. 😢

clip names showing in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.