Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set default perms from Windows writing to Lion share?

How do I set up a default permission mask so that Windows applications writing to the Mac shared directory can then be edited by other users? Ideally 750. Can a default group be defined for these writes also?

I have tried to find default umask definitions. Running bash by default when using Terminal. If I find or create the umask definition I'm guessing it may fix my Windows writes but maybe cause some other undesired permission problems. I have also read Windows apps writing files will ignore umask values.

Gory details of my situation: User uploaded file

Both users 'husband' and 'wife' are in a group by themselves called 'husbandwifegroup'. Not sure that matters at this point unless I can change new file group to be named this group name.

Systems:
Mac Mini Lion Server - share set up for family photos
Mac Air Lion
Windows 7 - wife's system used to get at photos

The share/directory I created ('pictures') and can be seen on Air and Win 7 systems. I also made a group called 'husbandwifegroup' trying to limit other users on the Mac Mini having access.

drwxrwx--- 4 husband husbandwifegroup 136 Nov 27 09:07 pictures

Using this share I can successfully write from Air & Win7 to the shared directory ('pictures') on Mini. But the default permissions are different on the Mini from the two systems when I write files to the share.

Air
-rw-r--r--@ 1 husband staff 35143 Nov 27 12:07 file_saved_from_Air.JPG

Win 7
-rw------- 1 husband staff 12659 Nov 27 12:09 Test husband on PC.docx

From Win 7 logged in as my wife's account
-rw------- 1 wife staff 12622 Nov 27 12:05 Test.docx

So the entire idea for the share was to allow my wife to edit photos from the Win 7 box. That works but when she saves the file it's defaulting to 600.

-rw------- 1 wife staff 3291923 Nov 27 11:16 ./1-1-1.JPG

Same with me on the Air along with the '@' on the end. What does that mean?
-rw-------@ 1 husband staff 195170 Nov 27 11:22 ./1-2.JPG (from the AIR)

Thanks!

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 11:09 AM

3 replies

Mar 12, 2012 9:21 AM in response to Serverpimp

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the exact same issue and struggling to find a solution.

I have a Mac Mini server that I am running Lion Server on. I created a group of file shares for a set of users all on Windows 7. Any file I create on the Windows machines and copy to the file shares have default permissions of 600. I want to change that for each folder so that users can shares files back and forth with one another.

I have messed around with ACL's and haven't gotten that to work. I tried Sandbox also.

There has to be some kind of way to get this to work..

Mar 14, 2012 8:14 PM in response to Serverpimp

I was able to finally get it working using ACL's. I found several people referencing an app called Sandbox. It's old but still works.

Basically, using Sandbox and ACL's, you can set a folder so that a user or group will auto inherit certain permissions to the contents of that folder. So, with your situation, you could have just set the folder so that you and your wife's user account (or a group) would inherit permissions to the contents of the directory. If you use 'ls -l' to list the contents of the file and its permissions, I still have very low permissions (600, so, rw for owner), but since the other accounts inherit the correct permissions, I was able to modify the files and such the way that I needed to.

Obviously, you don't need this anymore, but, thought I would share the solution in case someone else comes across this. This article tells how to turn ACLs on. http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4149

The command is:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server AclsEnabled -bool YES

How to set default perms from Windows writing to Lion share?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.