Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some fonts appear as rectangles

Recently I have been noticing that when certain people send me an instant message, the text appears as a bunch of rectangles. I started noticing that certain fonts were exhibhiting this behavior (i.e. Courier New does it, for one). I am noticing more and more fonts are becoming this way.

I just installed a new version of MS Office, and it loaded a whole slew of new fonts with it. They all appear as normal in the fonts menu, but when I select them, it immediately reverts back to the previous font when I begin typing. Surely the fonts were not corrupt on the CD-ROM. Is this a problem with the font files themselves, or with some other file that manages them? Fonts in the general library or user library?

Any experience or insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Tim

iMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Feb 6, 2006 8:49 PM

4 replies

Feb 7, 2006 7:18 AM in response to Tim Carlson

Hi Tim,

It sounds like the senders are sending formatted messages with fonts you don't have.

Are you using iChat as your Instant Message client? If so, you can open your iChat preferences, click the "Messages" tab, then check the "Reformat incoming messages" tab to set the font to something you have.

You won't get all the fancy formatting, but at least you should be able to read them.

And if this doesn't help, I'm stumped! 😉

Some fonts appear as rectangles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.