Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How I restored 3G switch on the iPhone 4S

I got the 3G switch back on my 4S

My 4S arrived earlier (I ordered it last week), and I noticed it missing. But when I backed up my 3GS with that 3G switch OFF, then restored my 3GS to my 4S, the switch is now back on the 4S.

This seems like the only way to get it back.

If you have an older iphone that can handle 5.x:

1) back up the 4S

2) restore the 4S' back up to the older phone

3) let the old phone sync, etc

4) back up the old phone with the 3g toggle off

5) restore the 4S with the old back up and toggle switch comes back

This is an EASY fix for apple:

1) Add the 3G switch back

2) if the 3g switch is turned off AND there is no wifi connection, Siri auto disables.

VERY.. VERY simple solution

I tried siri over Edge with no wifi.. she takes.... F O R E V E R... so that's probably their reasoning

My issue is in my house, I get 1 BAR to NO 3G.. and FULL edge.. the instant I step outside, I get full bars on 3G.. my house just must not like cell phones LOL! So when I'm at home, I always need to be on EDGE/WiFi.

Alienware R3 i7-2600K-OTHER, Windows 7, iPhone 4S / iPad 2 64GB iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 7:04 PM

9 replies

Nov 29, 2011 6:23 AM in response to g4vin

Sorry about the lack of details. I posted right b4 I went to bed and was pretty tired. I'm off to a Dr's appt atm. When I get back I will post exact steps along with screenshots, etc.

Yeah I'm annoyed that they took the switch away. The ipad 2 has a FAR better/stronger antenna vs the phones. So it will always get far better signal. So having it gone on my ipad isn't a big deal. Plus the only time I need 3g on my ipad 2 is when I'm out of the house. But in my house, I get 0 to 1 bar 3G. Step outside and I get MAX bars (on my 4S). My ipad 2 always has 2-4 bars 3G in the house.

There's a few things apple can do.. some of them I've listed but others I realized after I slept

1) If 3G signal drops below 2 bars, switch to edge (1 bar 3g is **** poor call quality and data speed anyway)

2) Drop to edge the instant the device connects to wifi

3) Or, simply restore the switch and let the user deal with it

4) Lastly, REPLACE the switch with options: 3G OFF, 3G ON, 3G off when on Wifi, 3G AUTO (what it is now)

How I restored 3G switch on the iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.