Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to copy iphoto library from external drive to internal drive

iPhoto '09 8.1.2 (424)

I have a very large iPhoto library (282GB, 34k photos) spread between multiple computers, which as been consolidated on a single external drive now (1 TB Western Digital Mac OS Extended (Case-senstive, Journaled). I'm trying to get the big library on the external drive back on my Mac Pro so I can break the merged libraries into smaller libraries in a safe fashion.

There is nothing on the internal drive, but I keep getting an error about 62GB into the copying that reads: "You cannot copy "[Library Name]" to the destination because its name is the same as the name of an item on the destination, except for the case of some characters." ... But there's nothing on the internal drive!!!

I've renamed the library on the external drive, then tried copying it -- no dice. I've created a new folder on the internal drive and tried copying it to the new folder -- same error at exactly the same spot in the transfer. I've even reformatted then zeroed out the internal drive -- same error, same spot. Anyone know a solution or have ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 11:07 PM

2 replies

Nov 29, 2011 1:17 AM in response to HeatherSD

I think the error report is bogus and the issue is not on the receiving volume but a locked or damaged file within the library.

Try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair Library permissions.

FWIW, I don't see what you gain by a: splitting the library at all and b: copying it back to the MacPro to do it.

Regards

TD

Nov 29, 2011 7:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

I think you are right -- it's an internal issue in the library. I reformatted the internal drive to match the external drive format (my internal drive was journaled but not case-senstive) and it finally worked.

Splitting the library makes it more manageable and saves copy time since I'll be using the internal drive as my source now and the external drive as a clone. Not enough room on my laptop to keep the library there and I use two computers with the library.

unable to copy iphoto library from external drive to internal drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.