Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Merge the Contents of Two Folders in Lion, Keeping the Newer Versions of Duplicate Files.

Select and copy all the contents of the folder containing the newer files. Paste the files ONTO the folder containing the older files. The unique files will be copied into the older folder without further ado. For the duplicates, a window will appear warning that a file with the same name already exists in the older folder. Check the "Apply to All" box and click on the Replace button, not the Skip button. These steps will merge all the files in the newer folder into the older folder, replacing the duplicates with the copies from the newer folder.

Unfortunately, the only information that the warning window provides about the duplicates is their common name, not sizes, dates, or times. These steps worked for me because I knew for certain that all the newer files were in one folder.

Mac OS X (10.7), iMacs, MacBook, and iPhone 4

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:32 AM

5 replies

Nov 30, 2012 7:24 AM in response to louiexiv

Great, I just lost 10 GB of data thanks to OSX folder merge... because appaerantly I should have known better not to keep a subfolder inside my folder I was trying to merge

I can not beleive more people don't have a problem with this. Merge contents in Lion does NOT merge contents if 1 or more of those supposed "contents" is a subfolder

Merge contents of two folders only works for files, it does NOT work for subfolders!!!!

Can we please get this acknowledged as a bug that needs fixing?

EXAMPLE:
Drive1 / Folder1
- text1.txt

- text2.txt
- / subfolder / text3.text

MERGE TO

Drive2 / Folder1

- text1.txt (this gets updated / merged)

- text2.txt (this gets updated / merged)
- / subfolder /
- text.txt
- text2.txt (this should get text3.txt merged into it, from Drive1, but instead this subfolder is REPLACED, and NOT MERGED!!)

Why would i want to replace a folder if I'm trying to merge it!?

Almost 2013 and OSX still cant merge a folder? unbelievable

How to Merge the Contents of Two Folders in Lion, Keeping the Newer Versions of Duplicate Files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.