Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keychains

How can i restore my old keychain?

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.4), i7 1Gb

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 3:34 AM

You can Verify and Repair...

Launch Keychain Access located in /Applications/Utiliites

From the menu bar click Keychain Access > Keychain First Aid

7 replies

Nov 29, 2011 6:33 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you Carolyn! Of course I first check Apple's own solutions (like the Utilities options you mentioned) before I send my questions to a community. I was just wondering if there would be a possibility to restore an old keychain (because it worked well). For example using Time Machine or something like that. I tried that but it did not work beacuse it would not change system settings (it said). So I donot understand the use of Time Machine if it does not do what it says: restore old settings you want to return to.

Can you help me with this too?

Nov 29, 2011 8:28 AM in response to McChristof

Yes, you can restore an old keychain with Time Machine. (I will assume that you want to restore your default keychain, and that you have not moved or renamed it.)

• In the Finder, hold the Option key and click the Go menu. Select Library.
  • Find the folder "Keychains". It should contain an item named "login.keychain". That is what you want to restore.
  • Now enter Time Machine. An easy way is to click on the Time Machine icon in the Dock. Scroll back in time to the point you want.
  • Select login.keychain and click Restore.

This will take your keychain back to that point in time, so any changes made after that will be lost. You could preserve them by making a copy of login.keychain before entering Time Machine.

keychains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.