Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro markers

I often use Final Cut to edit floorball games that I shoot in my spare time. These projects are quite long, rarely less than an hour. In order to make the DVD from a game user friendly, I add chapter markers for when things in the game occurs; scoring chances, goals, penalties, etc. It would kinda suck if you would have to fast forward through three periods of 20 minutes of play each if you want to see the goal that was score ten seconds before the final buzzer...

Anywho... My question is this. When I add a marker it starts with "Marker #1", then "Marker "2" etc. Is there a way to "reset" the automatic marker counter or whatever you'd call it, so that if I copy the project file and start over on a new game, the first marker I add will be #1 and not # 28 or #35 or #46 or whatever?

Thanks guys!

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 5:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:37 AM

There's no way to automate this.

What you can do is hold the shift key and press arrow down to advance up the Timeline to the next maker, then press M. This will open a dialog box where you can change the name. The arrow up key will take you back in the Timeline.

Note that even if you have markers that go 1 2 4 3, they will still be in the correct running order i.e you won't jump forwards then back again at markers 4 and 3. They are just names -the important thing is their position in time.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2011 6:37 AM in response to Doktor Kosmos

There's no way to automate this.

What you can do is hold the shift key and press arrow down to advance up the Timeline to the next maker, then press M. This will open a dialog box where you can change the name. The arrow up key will take you back in the Timeline.

Note that even if you have markers that go 1 2 4 3, they will still be in the correct running order i.e you won't jump forwards then back again at markers 4 and 3. They are just names -the important thing is their position in time.

Nov 29, 2011 7:55 AM in response to Nick Holmes

Thanks, It wasn't the answer I was hoping for, but I do appreciate the help.

Yeah most of all it's a question of keeping things neat and tidy.

Nov 29, 2011 8:11 AM in response to Doktor Kosmos

Sure, I can understand that. look at it this way, renaming will give you the opportunity to name the makers with a morre accurate description. Those names will carry over to DVD SP and be useful in naming the chapters on the disc's menu.

There's a good article about markers here: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/fcp_7_labels_markers_stone.html

Final Cut Pro markers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.