Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to VPN on time capsule

How do I setup a VPN on my time machine? I want to use a VPN Clint so I can use some USA services while up in Canada in my whole house with out having to set up each computer with VPN software and let the TC do all the work for me. Please help

Nate

Time capsule -OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 11:51 AM

There is no vpn in the TC. It is something that Apple left out which should have been included but I guess they decided on simplicity over bells and whistles.. Since you cannot use TC you need to either use a vpn modem router in front of the TC connecting to your broadband, or a vpn router connected behind it. Since either setup leads to issues, the best way is to bridge the TC and use it merely as network connect wireless and hard drive. Buy either of the above, ie on adsl the easiest to use is a modem router with built in vpn endpoints.. or if you are on cable get a router with built in vpn. Draytek is one good brand we use here (Australia) for doing vpn stuff. But pay attention to the service you are connecting to.. they generally use pptp type vpn (remember vpn uses several totally different and incompatible methods). And not all vpn are created equal.. some will work with this service and not that. So check carefully as the service will likely have no technical support to help you join, other than a set of generic here is how to do it with vpn client in windows, Mac and dd-wrt firmware openvpn.

Pay special attention and use what is advised. Run the TC in bridge and it will still work fine for backup and wireless connections in your lan.

There is also a nasty side effect.. once a vpn is established at the router, all traffic will be pushed down the vpn. The router cannot discern what traffic is for vpn and what traffic is for local ISP connection to the internet. Now things get really messy.. you need to figure out if it is better to put all your media using products behind the vpn in some permanent way.. that will then isolate them from the rest of the network and use a separate router which uses the vpn connection via vpn passthrough on the main router. It is one of the reasons client vpn on each device is used rather than central vpn. There may be ways around this using expensive professional type routers, but that will cost you significant amounts to setup and probably need outside tech support to setup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2011 11:51 AM in response to nathanrei

There is no vpn in the TC. It is something that Apple left out which should have been included but I guess they decided on simplicity over bells and whistles.. Since you cannot use TC you need to either use a vpn modem router in front of the TC connecting to your broadband, or a vpn router connected behind it. Since either setup leads to issues, the best way is to bridge the TC and use it merely as network connect wireless and hard drive. Buy either of the above, ie on adsl the easiest to use is a modem router with built in vpn endpoints.. or if you are on cable get a router with built in vpn. Draytek is one good brand we use here (Australia) for doing vpn stuff. But pay attention to the service you are connecting to.. they generally use pptp type vpn (remember vpn uses several totally different and incompatible methods). And not all vpn are created equal.. some will work with this service and not that. So check carefully as the service will likely have no technical support to help you join, other than a set of generic here is how to do it with vpn client in windows, Mac and dd-wrt firmware openvpn.

Pay special attention and use what is advised. Run the TC in bridge and it will still work fine for backup and wireless connections in your lan.

There is also a nasty side effect.. once a vpn is established at the router, all traffic will be pushed down the vpn. The router cannot discern what traffic is for vpn and what traffic is for local ISP connection to the internet. Now things get really messy.. you need to figure out if it is better to put all your media using products behind the vpn in some permanent way.. that will then isolate them from the rest of the network and use a separate router which uses the vpn connection via vpn passthrough on the main router. It is one of the reasons client vpn on each device is used rather than central vpn. There may be ways around this using expensive professional type routers, but that will cost you significant amounts to setup and probably need outside tech support to setup.

Nov 30, 2011 2:07 PM in response to nathanrei

nathanrei wrote:

So what would you recommend me do know that you have given me that info. Do you have any hardware models you remcomend for me?

PS I have a cable ISP if that helps

What hardware does the vpn service you want to join advise?? That is your problem.

And you need to sort out how the network will be setup.. vpn to a service can be an issue if the other clients in the network want normal internet access. But it is easier to put vpn router in front if that is what you are mainly using. Shrug.. you need to figure out your needs.. also how much money you want to spend and how technically agile you want to be.

From what I can see most of these services recommend 3rd party cheap end stuff. Go with that. That means you keep the TC as the main router. Put the vpn router behind it and run all the equipment that needs vpn access to connect to the vpn router.

Look up what works well with full dd-wrt for example.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

I don't live in US or Canada so I have no idea what is cheap and easy to get.

If the service has other router recommendations look into them. Compare cost, your ability to set it up.

My advice would be start with software vpn from a computer.. it is no cost and gives you an idea of how a service works and the issues involved. Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!! The forces of evil do not want you getting content from a market outside the control of big corporations.. they work hard to stop this happening.. do not expect a free ride or ease of use. Beware the Emperor!!

How to VPN on time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.