Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD ripper software recommendations for OS 10.4

Having a heck of a time trying to rip a dvd of a performance of mine, so there is no copyright issue here. Tried Mac the Ripper, didn't work (kept quitting). Also heard of Handbrake and DVD Ripper. Can't seem to find a version that will run with OS 10.4.11. These products are either unavailable or are updated and won't work on my Mac. I've thought of upgrading to 10.5, but that's hard to find as well, and costs an arm and a leg through other people. Apple doesn't seem to even have that as a basic download anymore. HELP! Any suggestions on what I can do to rip my DVD onto my hard drive so I can edit?

G5 desktop, Mac OS X (10.4.11), duel processor, NOT Intel

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:41 AM

7 replies

Nov 30, 2011 6:00 AM in response to FrodoFan35

If the DVD is copy protected then it is likely copyright and just the act of ripping a copy protected DVD is illegal in the US and many other places, probably even if you are on it (if somebody has a book of yours in their house you do not have the right to break down their door to get it). If it is copy protected and you have right of use of a section then you should contact the producers of the DVD so you can get a copy of that section in regular format.

If it isn't copy protected then all you need to do is copy the DVD files to your computer. No special ripping process necessary. You can then use a multitude of applications to convert the file to a more computer ready format. I'd go with copying to computer first, then converting, otherwise you'll put some heavy use on your DVD drive. If you still have problems copying the files then it is possible your drive is having problems or the DVD itself is damaged. If this is a home burned DVD on cheap discs then those are very prone to presenting issues.

Mar 5, 2013 5:15 AM in response to FrodoFan35

Please be aware that Fair Use, the doctrine that allows the back-up of your DVD/CDs for personal is not currently legally accepted in the UK and many countries outside of the US.

Hence, here it is illegal to copy DVD's to any format and circumventing the copy protection is a breach of the copyright owners rights.

Whilst I accept that copying is inevitable (you thieving bast*rds...!), please keep discussion away from any information about breaking DRM etc, as we will not allow the forums to be used for discussion of illegal activities.

Mac DVD Ripper is very good and is my primary ripper. I also have RipIt which is pretty good too. MDRP is often discounted to around $35 and has been worth it for me.

It seems well supported and is updated frequently. Nothing bad to say about RipIt, but it does have less options.

Thanks.

<Link Edited By Host>

Mar 5, 2013 9:11 PM in response to FrodoFan35

I'm currently trying a bunch of different options. I like both MTR and RipIt, but both only handle one disc at a time and I've decided it's time to backup my full, large, collection.

I've started using WonderShare with the fantastic Automator flow described here:

http://www.video-converter-mac.org/video-converter-ultimate-mac/

WonderShare is slow, but it handles multiple drives in parallel. It may take longer per disc, but I have to make few trips to the computer so less time is wasted.

DVD ripper software recommendations for OS 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.