Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail application won't quit/shutdown so computer won't logoff or shutdown either.. how do you fix that?

I opened my mail application and went to quit/close it down and it wouldn't. So then I tried to shutdown and logoff and the computer wouldn't shut down or anything because the mail application was open. So since I can't quit mail, I can't shutdown the computer...

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:58 PM

5 replies

Feb 24, 2014 2:35 PM in response to DC092

This helps... but partially.

The Operating system is unable to shut down the computer by itself unless the user forces it to quit. There is something wrong with the program. We shouldn't have to do that every time that we want to shut down our computer 😟 I am very upset with that to be honest.. I have just bought a new computer and this is a pain. I can´t even schedule my computer to shut down automatically because it doesn't....

mail application won't quit/shutdown so computer won't logoff or shutdown either.. how do you fix that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.