Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I change the position of the Get Info window?

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 2:01 PM

7 replies

Nov 29, 2011 10:49 PM in response to Buzkennedy

If you want to see what Pondini is referring to, select 4 or so items on the desktop at the same time (draw a rectangle around them or Shift-click them), then press Command-I (Get Info). One after another Get Info windows will open. If you've selected a lot of items and hit Get Info, you'll even get a second rown of those windows.

Depending what you might want to do in Get Info to a group of files, such as give them all the same label or lock/unlock them all, you can do a grouped Get Info. To do that, select all the files you want to affect, then press Command-Option-I (Get Info changes to Show Inspector in the File menu). A single window will open, displaying an icon resembling a bunch of stacked files. Common info and a few things you can do to all of them will be presented in that window.

Nov 30, 2011 8:28 AM in response to Buzkennedy

If you want to open the "Get Info" panel in the center of your screen, define the following Automator service and install it in the "Services" Folder of your User Library. This service will be available when you ctrl-click a file or folder in the pop-up menu and it will open the "Get Info" in the center of the screen.

• Open Automator and select New -> Service.
  • Select: Service receives "files or Folders" in "Finder.app"
  • Drag a "Run Apple script" action from the Actions pane -> Utilities onto the Workflow
  • Paste the following script into the action, after (* Your script goes here *) and before "return input"

tell application "Finder"

activate

set {d1, d2, d3, d4} to (get bounds of window of desktop)

openinformation window of iteminput

set {i1, i2, i3, i4} to (get bounds of information window 1)

set position of information window 1 to {d1 + (d3 - i3 + i1) / 2, d2 + (d4 - i4 + i2) / 2}

end tell

Save the service and name it e.g. "centeredGetInfo". It will be installed in your library -> Services.

Now you can ctrl-click any File or Folder, and in the Services Section of the pop-up menu you will see your new service "centeredGetInfo", also in File ->Services in the Finder, when you select a Finder item.

You can bind this service to a keyboard shortcut in the keyboard preferences and use it like the standard "Get Info"

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2011 10:39 AM in response to léonie

And here is a link to download the Automator Workflow:

http://dreschler-fischer.de/scripts/centeredgetinfo.workflow.zip

After you download it, uncompress it by double clicking and open it in Automator, then read it carefully to convince yourself that it is hamless, and save it. Automator will install it in your user library -> Services.

In the System Preferences -> Keyboard you can define a shortcut like this: double click on the end of the line for "centeredgetinfo", to insert a shortcut:

User uploaded file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.