Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

importing movie dvds into my iphone through itunes

i have many movie dvds i would like to import into my iphone through itunes, can someone help me out with how to do this?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 2:30 PM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2011 11:31 AM in response to Rudegar

its not illegal to make a backup of your dvd

if that were the case than you would not be able to buy software which specifically does this.

there are dozens of app that help you create an iphone or idevice friendly version of your movie.

dvdxxx is a good one

xilxxx dvd to iphone is another good.

plus you can download app that decrypt the movie to your hdd than ya can use handbrake

making compatible formats for your own playback on your devices is 100% legal.

the problem is, apple, wants to you to buy that movie again via their itunes movie store.

its rubbish if you think about it,. they offer itunes match, which will make your music u bought at a store, match it, put it online and if it was ripped at low bitrate upgrade it

but they dont offer this for movies

so in reality its a hypocrisy. they offer for music but not for movies.

its not against the law to rip your music, which is same as ripping movie to hdd.

so if ripping music to hdd and then using itunes match to make it available online, would that not be illegal too? since you had to rip the music from a cdrom to put it on your hdd?

Dec 2, 2011 4:14 PM in response to ninja.spirit

ninja.spirit wrote:

its not illegal to make a backup of your dvd

if that were the case than you would not be able to buy software which specifically does this.

there are dozens of app that help you create an iphone or idevice friendly version of your movie.

Just because it's legal to buy guns doesn't mean it's legal to shoot people with them. In the U.S., it IS illegal to break the encryption that is found on most commercial DVDs. In order to make a copy of a DVD, you'd need to break that encryption. So, for all practical purposes, the Doctrine of Fair Use (which, by the way is not actually a law) does not apply in this instance.

Music CDs are a different case. They are generally not encrypted. Therefore, there is nothing to prevent you from making a back up copy or converting it to a digital format for your own personal use.

importing movie dvds into my iphone through itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.