Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I read a .docx file?

I have an iPad running iOS 5.0.1 and I just received an email with a .docx attached. Whan I tap on it, it tries to open only to get a message that it can not read this kind of file. It can however read a .doc. What's up with that?

iPad, iOS 4.3.3, Awesome!

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 2:23 PM

12 replies

Nov 30, 2011 8:13 AM in response to Gar Benedick

Gar Benedick wrote:

Asatoran,

Thank you! However, I am not using an app, I am using the latest version of Apple Mail and as I stated, I can read a .doc file that is sent to me, just not a .docx file. If .docx started back in '07, why hasn't this been updated, or is it a Microsoft licensing thing? Preview on my MBP can read .docx file, why not Mail?

As Dave and Gilh said, you should be able to open DOCX. (And I tested an XLSX as well) on iOS5.0.1, which I did on my iPad1.

The file formats were introduced in Office2007, but it took a while for developers to update their apps to handle the Microsoft proprietary format. And even now, they can't always open every document perfectly. (i.e.: tables are not aligned properly. Macros don't work.)

So in addition to what Dave said about resetting your iPad, also try opening a different DOCX file. Preferably a "simple" file. (Just one or two words.) No macros either.

Nov 30, 2011 11:38 AM in response to Asatoran

Thank you all for your assistance. I do not have another .docx file to test, however, what is interesting is that my iPhone 4 Verizon phone will read/open the file without a problem. As you can imagine, viewing a word doc on my phone is no match for viewing it on my iPad. Any idea if the iPhone sees it differently for some reason? Or is it just a fluke that one does and the other does not?

Nov 30, 2011 12:00 PM in response to Gar Benedick

Gar Benedick wrote:

Thank you all for your assistance. I do not have another .docx file to test, however, what is interesting is that my iPhone 4 Verizon phone will read/open the file without a problem. As you can imagine, viewing a word doc on my phone is no match for viewing it on my iPad. Any idea if the iPhone sees it differently for some reason? Or is it just a fluke that one does and the other does not?

Did you do as Dave suggested, restart the iPad? Maybe even a full reset by holding down the home and power buttons until you see the Apple logo. Restart/Reset will "fix" many things. 😉

Why can't I read a .docx file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.