Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't move songs in playlist

I am not able to move songs in my playlist. I've tried dragging the song but it doesn't work.

MacBook Air late 2010, 2.16 GHz 4GB RAM OS10.6.4, MacBook Air Rev C, PowerbookG4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 9:51 PM

If it's a smart playlist, you can't re-order it. You can drag songs in other playlists to a new order only when you select the track number column as shown below.

User uploaded file

11 replies

Feb 9, 2012 7:45 AM in response to applecore_eater

Actually, it wasn't a smart playlist problem. (I don't create smart playlists generally, I choose normal playlists when I create new playlists.)

It happened again last night.

I realized that the little arrow at the top of the leftmost column was missing. When I clicked in the space, the arrow appeared and I was able to rearrange the songs.

If you click on "Artist" etc, the arrow disappears and it looks like you can't move the songs. As Jim says, you have to make the arrow appear.

Nov 23, 2015 12:02 PM in response to Connie Hawkins42

Yeah, same thing here. I got nothing. I've updated to Yosemite and now my iTunes is useless. I cannot move purchased songs to my iPod and I can no longer re-order my existing music. I was a big fan Macs and the iPod but frankly, it's just not worth the hassle any more. Unless I can find a reasonable way to manipulate my music, I'll just go back to PC platforms and music on my phone.

Can't move songs in playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.