Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto quits unexpectedly right after startup

Hi!

I've been using iPhoto for years and all my photos (almost 7.000) are stored in it, and I never had any problems before. But since last week, everytime I try to open it or upload more photos, it quits unexpectedly. I've tried updating it (I currently use the 7.1.5 version) - didn't work. I've tried relauching it repeatedly - didn't work. I've already repaired the permissions in the Utilities folder, I also have deleted the preferences file at the User folder, but nothing worked. Also tried rebuilding the library, but the new library had no photos at all, I got a message saying that some of the files might be corrupted and then it was impossible to rebuild the library...

Please somebody help me!!!

Thank you!

Regards,

Livia

Message was edited by: Livia Gonzaga

iPhoto '08, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 6:56 AM

1 reply

Nov 30, 2011 7:59 AM in response to Livia Gonzaga

Try these in order - from best option on down...

1. Do you have an up-to-date back up? If so, try copy the library6.iphoto file from the back up to the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) allowing it to overwrite the damaged file.

2. Download <a href="http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/"><b><u>iPhoto Library Manager</b></u></a> and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

3. If neither of these work then you'll need to create and populate a new library.

To create and populate a new *iPhoto 08* library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same Events and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, modified versions, books, calendars etc.

In the iPhoto Preferences -> Events Uncheck the box at 'Imported Items from the Finder'

Move the iPhoto Library to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag the individual Event Folders to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library on your desktop.

In the future, in addition to your usual back up routine, you might like to make a copy of the library6.iPhoto file whenever you have made changes to the library as protection against database corruption.

iPhoto quits unexpectedly right after startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.