Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Run a NAS as Time Machine on a MacBook Pro

Run a Synology DS211 and trying to get Time Machine on my MB Pro (Lion) to work with my NAS as backup. It show work...but...My Macbook Pro doesn't recognize the NAS when opening Time Machine, it doesnt show the NAS as an option. However, in Finder it does see my NAS and I can work with it. Can somebody explain in steps (for my MB Pro and NAS) what I am doing wrong?

thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 7:15 AM

4 replies

Nov 30, 2011 7:19 AM in response to gogetgil

Time Machine can only work with locally-connected drives formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or servers that are set up as Time Machine servers and I'm not aware of any NAS that offers that feature, though some may. If you want to use your NAS for backup, you'll probably need to use another backup solution that can back up to network drives.

Regards.

Nov 30, 2011 9:39 PM in response to gogetgil

gogetgil wrote:

Run a Synology DS211 and trying to get Time Machine on my MB Pro (Lion) to work with my NAS as backup. It show work...but...My Macbook Pro doesn't recognize the NAS when opening Time Machine, it doesnt show the NAS as an option. However, in Finder it does see my NAS and I can work with it. Can somebody explain in steps (for my MB Pro and NAS) what I am doing wrong?

I don't use one, but many folks use Synology NASs with Time Machine. However, a number of 3rd-party NASs need to be updated to work witih Lion, so check with Synology to be sure your model is compatible and/or has the latest updates.

It can be a bit tricky setting them up, however, as part of it must be done on the NAS, with the NAS's software, so follow Synology's instructions very carefully.

Run a NAS as Time Machine on a MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.