Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation from bootable drive?

I installed Lion on my iMac and then created a bootable install disk (http://www.macworld.com/article/161069/2011/07/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.ht ml). Can I use that bootable installer to install Lion on my wife's Macbook? Assuming the answer is yes, how will Apple charge for it if I don't first buy and download the App store installer?

Macbook - late 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iMac 21.5" - late 2010

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 8:57 AM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2011 9:16 AM in response to DesertRatR

Install on all authorized computers

When you purchase Lion from the Mac App Store, you can install it on all your authorized Mac computers. Just sign in to the Mac App Store from each Mac and download Lion from the Purchases list.

So, if you are able to D/L Lion from the AppleStore on the other Mac, then you can use the installer you created (just saves you the d/l time), however, if the other Mac uses a different Applestore ID then you should purchase Lion.

Dec 1, 2011 8:01 PM in response to Tony T1

I used my bootable install disk on a USB HD to install Lion on my wife's Macbook (saved from when I upgraded my iMac). I downloaded nothing. All went well. I guess I must have authorized her Macbook using the same credentials as mine (bought them at same time 3 years ago). I used her Apple ID to set up iCloud. Everything seems to be working.

Installation from bootable drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.