Skip navigation

Installation from bootable drive?

313 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2011 8:01 PM by DesertRatR RSS
DesertRatR Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 30, 2011 8:57 AM

I installed Lion on my iMac and then created a bootable install disk (http://www.macworld.com/article/161069/2011/07/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.ht ml).  Can I use that bootable installer to install Lion on my wife's Macbook?  Assuming the answer is yes, how will Apple charge for it if I don't first buy and download the App store installer? 

Macbook - late 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iMac 21.5" - late 2010
  • Tony T1 Level 6 Level 6 (8,125 points)
    Nov 30, 2011 9:16 AM (in response to DesertRatR)

Install on all authorized computers

When you purchase Lion from the Mac App Store, you can install it on all your authorized Mac computers. Just sign in to the Mac App Store from each Mac and download Lion from the Purchases list.

So, if you are able to D/L Lion from the AppleStore on the other Mac, then you can use the installer you created (just saves you the d/l time), however, if the other Mac uses a different Applestore ID then you should purchase Lion.

• frankfromoverland park Calculating status...
    Nov 30, 2011 11:05 AM (in response to Tony T1)

Two questions

1. Given long download time, can second system be upgraded from a DVD without a second download?

2. I plan to do a clone of both drives before the install, in order to protect everything. Can they both be cloned to the same drive? (I thought I would just buy a new drive for this)

Thanks

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.