Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod Hard drive failure?

Came to play my ipod today and it's got the red X of death and is making horrible clicking/crunching sounds. Can feel is physcially vibrating in tempo with the clicks.

However, I checked the serial number and it's out of warranty. What's unbelieveable is that I havn't used it for the last year (living abroad and left it behind) so really only got 6 months use from it. Do I have any avenues left to persue or am I left having spent £180 on a terrible product? No way i'd risk buying another one now.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, very depressing to think ive wasted so much money

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 3:41 PM

1 reply

Dec 6, 2011 7:15 PM in response to Kemics

Yes iPod hardisk is dying, you can try Reset it several times, but first connect it to the Mac to charge the battery. for 4 hours. The weak battery, may be crashing the hardisk, in my Apple II days, I learn that the hardisk platter must spin fast enough to create an air buffer between the head and the platter, or else it goes kaput!! The head is kapu and the platter is scratched.

Good Luck!

Ipod Hard drive failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.