Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview Load very slow on lion

After i had upgrad to mac ox lion...it takes so much time for me to open a document with preview...sometimes it takes about 40sec...also my textedit...any way of fixing this?

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 5:13 PM

I would also like a solution for this issue. Sometimes preview takes 15 seconds to open for me. My macbook pro is only a month old, so I think this is sort of ridiculous.

One thing that may work is to uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" in the General window of System Preferences. I'm not sure how this would cause a problem, since I typically close a window before quitting an app, but it's worth a try I suppose.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2011 5:13 PM in response to maclover01

I would also like a solution for this issue. Sometimes preview takes 15 seconds to open for me. My macbook pro is only a month old, so I think this is sort of ridiculous.

One thing that may work is to uncheck "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" in the General window of System Preferences. I'm not sure how this would cause a problem, since I typically close a window before quitting an app, but it's worth a try I suppose.

Dec 5, 2011 5:19 PM in response to maclover01

Quit Preview.

Go to ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Preview.plist and delete this file.

Then go to ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Preview folder and delete that.

Relaunch Preview.

* Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key to choose "Library"

EDIT: The first launch may be slower because cache needs to rebuild but after that let us know...

Apr 27, 2012 9:27 AM in response to maclover01

Apple took stuff out and apparently put more in and now it's slow, unresponsive, unstable and it's missing things. I was used to having the ability to delete files from inside the application, save documents and new page numbers after dragging pages in, command-shift-S for "Save As..." instead of "Export..."

And that "Duplicate" feature is needless.

Who asked for these changes? We were fine.

Apr 27, 2012 10:39 AM in response to p8blr

Preview used to be just the right combination of practical and simple... an all-around perfect viewing/conversion/editing/graphic file management utility.

It's as if they said, "this has been going too well for too long. How can we screw this up? I know. Let's give this to Microsoft. They'll over-complicate it with things no one asked for!"

Apr 27, 2012 5:01 PM in response to garyjv

Oh wait...

Don't let me forget that other useless file menu feature..."Save A Version."

Instead of adding "Duplicate," "Export..." and "Save A Version," how about keeping "Save As..." and leaving the file menu alone? 😠

There aren't even any Help items that explain these new features. If you go to Help and type in "Save A Version" it'll just take you to that menu item. If "Duplicate" or "Save A Version" actually do something, then it should be explained right there from within the help section of the program. You shouldn't have to go on an extra adventure on Google or YouTube to find out.

Do I get an A-men?

Sep 5, 2012 3:52 AM in response to maclover01

I had the same problem.

It began when i installed 10.7.1 actualization.

There is no official information from apple about this issue.

It did not improve when i installed 10.7.2 - 10.7.4.

It did not improve with the <<Go to System Preferences>General>“Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps” remove the check mark >> solution.

Solution? i downgrade to 10.7 and it worked fantastic. Now preview and also text edit are as fast as it used to be in the beginning. It is definitely a 10.7.1 problem

How to downgrade? i download Lion 10.7 DMG and made a bootable DVD. Then i reinstalled lion 10.7. I DID NOT NEED TO DELETE ANY OF MY PERSONAL FILES. It´s not necessary to make a clean install.

Why this happens? It still a question without an answer from apple.

I hope this helps you.

Regards from Chile

Rafael

Sep 28, 2012 8:15 AM in response to garyjv

I stopped using it... you can open stuff faster in a web browser, or by hitting spacebar.

Shame, but seriously... I don't understand Apple's logic here, Preview is supposed to be just that... PREVIEW... it should be the fastest way to open something, yet it is probably one of the slowest, if not THE slowest. Especially as this is the default app for a lot of things, they are just embarassing themselves really...

Preview Load very slow on lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.