Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

webmail connection to imap server failed

I have the strange situation that sending and receiving mail works from mail.app, but webmail is giving 'connection to imap server failed' using the same username and pass. I also can login using these credentials in the wiki. Apparently the link of the webmail to the mail-database is wrong. How to proceed?

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 5:28 AM

11 replies

Dec 5, 2011 5:00 AM in response to colin-SA

apparently the webmail interface does not connet correctly to the mail database. I guess that one way or antother the DNS is not configured correctly and/or the secure certificates are not correct (my server has another name than the name on the certificate)

regarding DNS:

it is on LAN on machine 10.0.1.5

so my reverse zone is 5.1.0.10.in-addr.arpa

10.0.1.5 Reverse Mapping server.X.com.

then I have

X.com Primary Zone

-caldavs.tcp. service server.X.com.:8443

mail.server.X.com. Alias server.X.com.

server.X.com. Machine 10.0.1.5

is this correct or should this configuration be altered?

Dec 5, 2011 5:19 AM in response to Huub Toussaint

I finally solved the issue ...

I thought I really searched the discussions on the lion server but I overlooked this thread:

Lion Server Webmail not reachable via https URL

frank124 says:

Have a look in

/usr/share/webmail/config/appleoverrides.inc.php,

should point to your local servername instead of $h

the original $h will be replaced by your external fqdn which is not enabled in mail.

$rcmail_config['default_host'] = 'tls://macserver.examle.com';

and that solved my problem

Jan 28, 2012 2:52 PM in response to dhirendrabrissy

In Server Admin goto Mail-->Settings and take a look at the SSL section. There is no point in setting SMTP SSL to Required because servers don't normally communicate with each other using SSL, if webmail is used and IMAP and POP SLL is set to required, you'll most likely get the message that the connection to the IMAP server failed. They should both be set to Use in most cases.

Apr 12, 2012 9:35 AM in response to Huub Toussaint

Hi, I'm running Lion Server 10.7.3, but I can't find the file as mention "/usr/share/webmail/config/appleoverrides.inc.php".

I don't seems to have this usr folder or the webmail folder. But I can access my webmail on local network. Outside connection, I get "connection to IMAP server failed".

I have tried everything else. Only left with this method untried, because I can't find this file.

Divine help needed.

"It just Don't work"

webmail connection to imap server failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.