Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade to Lion?

Each time I get ready to take the plunge and upgrade to Lion, I read the posts and see all the problems folks are having with Lion and I change my mind! It seems like a lot of people have reinstalled snow leopard. Should I upgrade? I'm not a developer nor do I have expert computer abilities and knowledge. I use my computer for everyday work such as accessing mail, the web, iTunes, play games etc. Advice please. thanks.

Kelly

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 8:59 AM

No doubt other users will contribute their opinions, but I'd like to set a bit of perspective for you. These forums are intended for people to come here and post their problems, so by nature what you're going to see will indeed be problems. The many thousands of Lion owners who are having no troubles have little reason to post to a technical support bulletin board, so just reading here will give you a skewed perspective on the issues. Quoting another regular contributor to the Discussions, "Trying to judge [a product] by this forum is like trying to judge the health of a community by looking at the hospital ER". Lion works fine for me and doubtless for thousands of other satisfied users.

As to whether you should upgrade to Lion, that's really a question only you can answer. You need to look at the new features offered in Lion and decide whether they are sufficiently desirable to you to justify the upgrade and the usual "settling" time common for any major OS upgrade, or if there are applications that require Lion that you wish to run.

If not, then my general advice is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", meaning that if you aren't compelled to Lion for some reason and are happy as things are, there's little reason to upgrade at this time.

Regards.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2011 8:59 AM in response to kelly9159

No doubt other users will contribute their opinions, but I'd like to set a bit of perspective for you. These forums are intended for people to come here and post their problems, so by nature what you're going to see will indeed be problems. The many thousands of Lion owners who are having no troubles have little reason to post to a technical support bulletin board, so just reading here will give you a skewed perspective on the issues. Quoting another regular contributor to the Discussions, "Trying to judge [a product] by this forum is like trying to judge the health of a community by looking at the hospital ER". Lion works fine for me and doubtless for thousands of other satisfied users.

As to whether you should upgrade to Lion, that's really a question only you can answer. You need to look at the new features offered in Lion and decide whether they are sufficiently desirable to you to justify the upgrade and the usual "settling" time common for any major OS upgrade, or if there are applications that require Lion that you wish to run.

If not, then my general advice is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", meaning that if you aren't compelled to Lion for some reason and are happy as things are, there's little reason to upgrade at this time.

Regards.

Dec 1, 2011 10:13 AM in response to kelly9159

In addition to Dave's comments, I would like to add my own comment. If you are still dependent on an application that is coded in PowerPC code, it will not run on Lion. So you really should check to be sure if you have any PPC code first.

I started two months before Lion was released to migrate off of PPC. I found that I had Appleworks documents and also Quicken 2007 which I had to migrate to newer applications.

Allan

Dec 1, 2011 11:03 AM in response to kelly9159

DAve’s comment is comprehensive. Note that many people had / have problems after upgrade because, in most cases, they have older apps incompatible with Lion, and they probably start up upon logging in; there are various other problems. Also correct, this is a forum for lamenting, about things, which are not going on OK, so I doubt you will find any text praising Apple for their products, on the contrary! 😁

Dec 1, 2011 12:38 PM in response to sheritx

Since there is no such thing, you are not able to upograde to Quicken 2011.

The is a version ccalled Quicken Essentials which is coded as an Intel product. So that would work under Lion. The only problems with it is that is only a crimp of the old Quicken 2007. It doesn't do hardly any of the things that Quicken 2007 did. I know I tested and rejected it. I have now switched over to iBank.

Allan

Dec 1, 2011 1:11 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Are you satisfied with iBank? I have been a Quicken user since inception. The thought of converting over to a completely different application after all these years, impact upon prior data, etc. is scary. I have to do something since Intuit won't support Lion (or vice versa). I understand iBank is a superior product to Quicken for Mac, so that's a plus, but it it worth the pain to get there?

Thanks for any info you can supply about your conversion experience.

Dec 1, 2011 1:33 PM in response to billhy

The way I saw it was that with total lack of support I was getting from Intuit why should I stick with them. For years they were talking how great Essentials was going to be and then they attempt to give a crip. I said I had enough from them and made my break.

For me it wasn't that painful at all.

You really must do it before you upgrade to Lion so that you can export your data from Quicken 2007.

Allan

Dec 2, 2011 8:27 AM in response to kelly9159

In response to a few of the comments -- au contraire!

I absolutely love my iMac, albeit running Snow Leopard & sans Lion (for now, at least).

I also loved my Power PC G4 Mac; it was essential throughout college and beyond. 😎

I also loved my first Mac -- series 68040, I believe. I met some wonderful people in cyberspace 😍; others I met were not so nice. ➖

Finally, lots of members of the faithful Mac community come to these discussion boards to help or to try & help others. ➕ So most negativistic characterizations are mere overgeneralizations, IMHO.

People come here to ask questions, some that seek answers here may be (understandably) terse in their manner of approaching the issue(s), however, a little guidance goes a long way in putting a smile on thier face(s). 🙂

Finally, some people come here out of utter frustration; they may, for example: be behind the proverbial curve, if you will. Others do practically nothing but complain. 😠

All things considered, like it takes all kinds of peeps to make a world, which is a good thing, don't cha think? 😉

Cheers, Michael

Should I upgrade to Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.