Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud available for Windows Vista, but not Snow Leopard???

I have Multipal Macs with the Core Duo chipset that can not run LION and no $$$$ to upgrade hardware right now.

WHY does Windows VISTA get iCloud suport but I who can't upgrade to LION do not?

I understand leaving out Leaopard, but SNOW too?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 10:16 AM

4 replies

Dec 1, 2011 3:16 PM in response to Brian Dodds

I couldn't agree more! I too, have several apps that won't run on Lion, but would like to test out iCloud. However after a quick look at the forum on iCloud issues, I have my reservations about using it!

Brian Dodds wrote:

I have Multipal Macs with the Core Duo chipset that can not run LION and no $$$$ to upgrade hardware right now.

WHY does Windows VISTA get iCloud suport but I who can't upgrade to LION do not?

I understand leaving out Leaopard, but SNOW too?

Dec 1, 2011 7:01 PM in response to Brian Dodds

With the removal of Rosetta in Lion and the requirement for Lion in order to use iCloud Macs are no longer an option for poeple that need to be able to run older applications.

Many places bought Macs because they could run just about anything, Windows, Linux, PPC software, even Classic applications via Sheepshaver.

The big issue is the loss of being able to run PPC applications. Freehand, Pagemaker, Framemaker, Quicken to name just a few applications that will never be ported. People and businesses have huge amounts of documents in these formats. It's not stuff that is used regularly but it is files that need to be accessed and sometimes modified.

All these applications can run on a modern Windows machine as can iCloud but not on a Mac running Lion.

While I'm complaining... I setup a bunch of Macs, iOS devices and some PCs all on iCloud today. The loss of email account syncing meant I had to spend hours setting up email on each machine ( each device had just under a dozen accounts on it) instead of just one machine and having it propagate to all the other devices. Going to be real fun trying to keep email rules in sync on all the Macs.

iCloud available for Windows Vista, but not Snow Leopard???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.