Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deploying 10.6.8 NetRestore Image from 10.7.2 Server

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! Here is my issue...

I currently have a 10.7.2 Lion Server which I'm going to be using to deploy Lion to a bunch of client computers. At the same time, though, I'll still need to set this server up to also dish out updated/stable 10.6.8 Images.

When I go through the setup process of creating the NetRestore Image via System Image Utility, it gives me no problems when creating the 10.7.2 NetRestore Image. However, when I go to create the 10.6.8 NetRestore Image, System Image Utility won't progress and tells me - "No Valid Source Volumes Were Found" despite clearly having the 10.6.8 image mounted.

My question is quite simple really...Will the Lion Server's System Image Utility NOT allow me to create and push out a NetRestore 10.6.8 image to client computers?

If not, can someone explain why? If it can, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 24' Early 2008

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 12:24 PM

8 replies

Dec 1, 2011 1:27 PM in response to lbcSSA

Hi

It's a question that's been asked many times before. Basically it goes something like this:

10.7 SIU can only create images for 10.7 systems

10.6 SIU can only create images for 10.6 systems

10.5 SIU can only create images for 10.5 systems

10.4 SIU can only create images for 10.4 systems

10.7 SIU can only be installed and launched on a 10.7 system

10.6 SIU can only be installed and launched on a 10.6 system

10.5 SIU can only be installed and launched on a 10.5 system

10.4 SIU can only be installed and launched on a 10.4 system

You can't 'serve' 10.4 nbis on a 10.7 Server. You can't 'serve' 10.7 nbis on a 10.4 Server. You can 'serve' 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 & 10.7 nbis on a 10.6 and 10.5 Server. You can install and launch SIU on a Client OS. It works just as well as it does on a Server OS. Once the nbi has been created you can use any number of methods to transfer it to a designated NetBooSP0 folder. You could, for example, share the NetBootSP0 folder over AFP first. Mount it and either create/save the nbi locally and transfer it across when done or create/save it directly to the share.

HTH?

Tony

Dec 2, 2011 5:14 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Antonio,

Thanks for your help and solid explanation. What you've pointed out makes sense. I just personally think the way they did it is a little...complicated.

Just seems silly that I essentially need to run THAT many instances of different server versions to deploy what I need to deploy - especially when the versions I need to deploy are within one major version of the other. It's not like I'm trying to deploy 10.4 from a Lion server...It sounds like my only other option would be to use something like DeployStudio?

The one problem w/ DeployStudio is that it doesn't play nice w/ a netboot diagnostic that I HAVE to run on the same server.

Again, thank you for your help and for the recommedation to look in to AFP. I did toy w/ it but don't think it will suffice for what I need to do. I'm clearly just in a tough spot.

Luckily I do have a spare 10.6.8 Server license laying around...

~ lbcSSA

Dec 2, 2011 8:14 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

I agree with everything Tony said, except this part.

Antonio Rocco wrote:

You can't 'serve' 10.4 nbis on a 10.7 Server. You can't 'serve' 10.7 nbis on a 10.4 Server. You can 'serve' 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 & 10.7 nbis on a 10.6 and 10.5 Server.

Tony, do you have experience that says this doesn't work? The service hasn't changed (much) over the releases. I no longer have a 10.4 server, nor any images, but I've regularly served 10.5, 10.6, and 10.7 images from a server that I've upgraded over time from 10.5. -> 10.6 -> 10.7.

Dec 4, 2011 1:31 PM in response to Brian Nesse

Hello Brian

Page 17 of the Upgrading & Migrating Manual for 10.7 states in the Understanding what can be reused section:

"NetBoot images created using Mac OS X Server v10.5 or later can be reused. NetBootimages created using earlier versions cannot be used"

Up until a few weeks ago I still had a 10.4 Server I could use. So I tried it. The 10.4 NetBoot Service did not even register the 10.7 nbi in the Interface. If I could have been bothered I may have found out - possibly - why. But seeing as I was de-commissioning the Server anyway, why bother? I've not tried 10.5 NetBoot but I would imagine it can serve 10.7 images. Like yourself I know 10.6 Server and 10.5 Server can serve all 10.4 nbis in addition to later versions. The 10.7 Server I have access to certainly does serve 10.7, 10.6 and 10.5 nbis. I did have a 10.4 nbi (working happily on a 10.6 Server) which I transferred to the 10.7 Server and just like the 10.4 Server with the 10.7 nbi, it did not register in the interface.

HTH?

Tony

Dec 5, 2011 11:09 AM in response to Brian Nesse

Hello Brian

That's my thinking as well.

Perhaps you can shed some light on something for me?

Any reason why NetBoot images created in 10.7 SIU simply disappear from NetBooSP0 folder? I've tried this twice now and the nbis are created without any problems. As soon as you go to the interface to activate them they don't register in the interface and they've completely disappeared from the folder. Again I've not had time - or the inclination to be honest - to find out why. I'm thinking it might something to do with the RecoveryHD partition altough I could be completely wrong?

Although still possibly relevant apologies to OP for being slightly off-topic.

Tony

Deploying 10.6.8 NetRestore Image from 10.7.2 Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.